Velocity Reviews

-   -   character encoding (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t150312-character-encoding.html)

raavi 02-16-2006 06:47 AM

character encoding

Hi all
I am now involved in a telnet application.the problem i am facing is
that there are some missing characters .i am using NVTInputStream class
for character encoding.if any one has any idea please do tell me.Thanks
in advance
Regards ,
Anu

IchBin 02-16-2006 06:52 AM

Re: character encoding

raavi wrote:
> Hi all
> I am now involved in a telnet application.the problem i am facing is
> that there are some missing characters .i am using NVTInputStream class
> for character encoding.if any one has any idea please do tell me.Thanks
> in advance
> Regards ,
> Anu

More specific question with code sample involved will help problem
determination.

--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

raavi 02-16-2006 07:08 AM

Re: character encoding

Hi
the NVTInputStreamReader class i am using is as follows.
public class NVTInputStream extends FilterInputStream
{
byte IAC = (byte)0xff;
byte DO = (byte)0xfd;
byte WILL = (byte)0xfb;
int WONT = 252;
int DONT = 254;
OutputStream out;
int BUFFER_SIZE = 1024;
byte lineBuffer[] = new byte[BUFFER_SIZE];
int numBytes = 0;

public NVTInputStream(InputStream inStream, OutputStream outStream)
{
super(inStream);
out = outStream;
}

/**
* Following function takes each character from the socket
inputstream
* It returns each character as integer
*/
public int read() throws IOException {
boolean recIAC;
int i;
do {
recIAC = false;
i = in.read();
if (i==-1) return i;
byte b = (byte)i;
if (b==IAC) {
recIAC = true;
int cmd = in.read();
if (cmd==-1) return cmd;
byte b2 = (byte)cmd;
if (b2==IAC) return 255;
else if (b2==DO) {
int opt = in.read();
if(opt==-1) return opt;
out.write(255);
out.write(WONT);
out.write(opt);
out.flush();
}
else if (b2==WILL) {
int opt = in.read();
if(opt==-1) return opt;
out.write(255);
out.write(WONT);
out.write(opt);
out.flush();
}
}
} while (recIAC);
return i;
}

}
i am using this class to get the stream .i am
taking the integer conversion of stream and the cnverting to characters
..but some characters are seen missing.so if possible suggest me some
new character encoding measures.Thanks in advance

Chris Uppal 02-16-2006 10:07 AM

Re: character encoding

raavi wrote:

> public class NVTInputStream extends FilterInputStream

[...]
> public int read() throws IOException {

[...]
> i am using this class to get the stream .i am
> taking the integer conversion of stream and the cnverting to characters
> .but some characters are seen missing.

If the code you posted was a complete class, then one way that things might be
going wrong is that if the code that uses the stream calls one of the other
flavours of the read() method then your filtering code will not be invoked.

-- chris