Velocity Reviews

-   -   [J2EE] Standard asynchronous call (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t149587-j2ee-standard-asynchronous-call.html)

zebulon 01-23-2006 06:33 PM

[J2EE] Standard asynchronous call

Hi,
I am looking for the standard way of calling a method of a class (POJO or
not) asynchronously within a J2EE developpement (for exemple within a
servlet) ?
I believe launching a new thread is forbidden (at least not advised) in a
J2EE environnement. Do you confirm that ?
Using a JMS provider and an MDB, is the only standard way ? if yes, isn't
that heavy for a basic issue like this one ?

thanks

Raymond DeCampo 01-24-2006 09:30 PM

Re: [J2EE] Standard asynchronous call

zebulon wrote:
> Hi,
> I am looking for the standard way of calling a method of a class (POJO or
> not) asynchronously within a J2EE developpement (for exemple within a
> servlet) ?
> I believe launching a new thread is forbidden (at least not advised) in a
> J2EE environnement. Do you confirm that ?

New threads are forbidden in the EJB container. The web container
allows new threads.

> Using a JMS provider and an MDB, is the only standard way ? if yes, isn't
> that heavy for a basic issue like this one ?

Doesn't seem too heavy for me. Messaging is the standard answer to
asynchronous requests regardless of language. An MDB is not complicated
(not like entity or even session beans).

HTH,
Ray

--
This signature intentionally left blank.