Velocity Reviews

-   -   JVM thread stack (out of memory) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t148180-jvm-thread-stack-out-of-memory.html)

Chenxi 11-30-2005 10:34 AM

JVM thread stack (out of memory)

Hi everyone,

I am trying to run 10,000 threads on my machine, and the JVM reported
thread stack out of memory. It is obvious that I have created too many
threads (well, 2000 threads is fine, but not 10,000). I've tried to
increase JVM memory allocation.

java -Xms300m -Xmx300m -Xss4000k

but still cannot create more threads, also i found that -Xss option
didnt help, can anyone help?

Chenxi

Chris Uppal 11-30-2005 12:08 PM

Re: JVM thread stack (out of memory)

Chenxi wrote:

> I am trying to run 10,000 threads on my machine

Unless you are using a machine with (at least) hundreds of CPUs, or are using a
JVM with an implementation that is specifically designed for /very/ lightweight
threads, nether of which is at all likely I think, then that is /far/ too many
threads.

-- chris

Thomas Hawtin 11-30-2005 12:36 PM

Chenxi wrote:

> but still cannot create more threads, also i found that -Xss option
> didnt help, can anyone help?

Isn't -Xss the size of each stack? In order not to run out of address
space, you should set it as low as possible.

Tom Hawtin
--
Unemployed English Java programmer
http://jroller.com/page/tackline/