Velocity Reviews

-   -   perl scripts and JSP... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t146281-perl-scripts-and-jsp.html)

balgach@gmail.com 09-18-2005 01:58 PM

perl scripts and JSP...

Hello all,

I have a perl script which parses through a local log file, and prints
some output to stdout. i would like to be able to view the output of
this file from the web, typically through JSP, which i have some
moderate programming experience. Is this possible? To do local
execution calls through a JSP? or am i going to have to recode the Perl
scrip in the jsp. and if the later is the case, how would i open a
local file for reading? thanks.

Cheers,
Adam.

Chris Smith 09-18-2005 02:11 PM

Re: perl scripts and JSP...

balgach@gmail.com <balgach@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a perl script which parses through a local log file, and prints
> some output to stdout. i would like to be able to view the output of
> this file from the web, typically through JSP, which i have some
> moderate programming experience. Is this possible? To do local
> execution calls through a JSP? or am i going to have to recode the Perl
> scrip in the jsp. and if the later is the case, how would i open a
> local file for reading? thanks.

Depends on the JSP environment. If you're deploying to a simple Tomcat
install, then the answer is probably yes. However, it is quite possible
(and sometimes considered good practice in larger enterprise
environments) to install a SecurityManager to prevent web applications
from performing unauthorized actions. So it depends on the
configuration.

As for how to do it... the best way would be to write the code in Java,
and map it to a JSP custom tag with a TLD file. This is a little too
exotic for a scriptlet, even by liberal standards.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation