Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Java (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f30-java.html)
-   -   Write animated / cycling GIF's (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t145336-write-animated-cycling-gifs.html)

Andrew Thompson 08-03-2005 03:50 PM

Write animated / cycling GIF's
 
I am writing a small 'screenshot' task for animated components
(screensavers).

So far I have managed to grab images of the component and
save them to disk as a *series* of images, but I was wonderring
if there is anything in the standard API that will write
them to a single 'animated GIF'*.

[ Note, there are other ways we can go to present them,
including a JS or Applet slideshow, so I am not too keen
to install something like JAI for this task, I just
thought I would check if I missed something in the
standard API. ]

* Yes, yes 'burn all GIFs' ( yada, yada.. )

--
Andrew Thompson
physci.org 1point1c.org javasaver.com lensescapes.com athompson.info
A By-Product Of The TV Industry

Andrew Thompson 08-04-2005 01:03 PM

Re: Write animated / cycling GIF's
 
On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 15:50:30 GMT, Andrew Thompson wrote:

> I am writing a small 'screenshot' task


[1]

>...for animated components (screensavers).
>
> So far I have managed to grab images of the component and
> save them to disk as a *series* of images, but I was wonderring
> if there is anything in the standard API that will write
> them to a single 'animated GIF'*.
>
> [ Note, there are other ways we can go to present them,
> including a JS or Applet slideshow, so I am not too keen
> to install something like JAI for this task, I just
> thought I would check if I missed something in the
> standard API. ]
>
> * Yes, yes 'burn all GIFs' ( yada, yada.. )


[1] vis.
<http://www.physci.org/codes/display.jsp?fl=/test/codejs/ScreenShot.java>

[ Note that while this code extends org.apache.tools.ant.Task,
I have not got the hang of creating Ant tasks yet. It
does not work as I expected, and thus far I have only
managed to invoke it as a java task. More delving into
the Ant docs is required.. ]

--
Andrew Thompson
physci.org 1point1c.org javasaver.com lensescapes.com athompson.info
Fun For The Whole Family (Except Grandma and Grandpa)

Andrew Thompson 08-15-2005 02:06 PM

Re: Write animated / cycling GIF's
 
On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 15:50:30 GMT, Andrew Thompson wrote:

A follow up to my own question..

(wonderring)
> ..is anything in the standard API that will write
> ..a single 'animated GIF'*.


No. Most probably because of that bothersome Unisys
patent[1] on the LZW compression algorithm.

> [ Note, there are other ways we can go to present them,
> including a JS or Applet slideshow, so I am not too keen
> to install something like JAI


No point. JAI can *read* Gif's, but cannot write them.

[1] My investigations led me to check the source of
this patent nonsence, Unisys. I was sure the patent
had expired, which this page suggests..
<http://www.unisys.com/about__unisys/lzw>

Unfortunately, Unisys clouds the waters by continuing to mention,
"Unisys Corporation holds and has patents pending on a
number of improvements on the inventions claimed in
the above-expired patents. .."

...they offer an email address from which to request information
on the new patent(s and applications) but so far, 3 requests
to the email provided (from two separate addresses) have
resulted in 0 information from Unisys.

> * Yes, yes 'burn all GIFs' ( yada, yada.. )


...hmmmm.

--
Andrew Thompson
physci.org 1point1c.org javasaver.com lensescapes.com athompson.info
"I got a raw deal, so I'm lookin' for a steel.." Tricky 'Black Steel'

Roedy Green 08-15-2005 10:25 PM

Re: Write animated / cycling GIF's
 
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:06:25 GMT, Andrew Thompson
<SeeMySites@www.invalid> wrote or quoted :

>
>No. Most probably because of that bothersome Unisys
>patent[1] on the LZW compression algorithm.


has not that patent expired? In any case there is no ImageIO gif
writer builtin.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gifencoder.html

Andrew Thompson 08-16-2005 07:35 AM

Re: Write animated / cycling GIF's
 
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:25:56 GMT, Roedy Green wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:06:25 GMT, Andrew Thompson
> <SeeMySites@www.invalid> wrote or quoted :
>
>>
>>No. Most probably because of that bothersome Unisys
>>patent[1] on the LZW compression algorithm.

>
> has not that patent expired? In any case there is no ImageIO gif
> writer builtin.


(trimmed, reinstated..)
[1] My investigations led me to check the source of
this patent nonsence, Unisys. I was sure the patent
had expired, which this page suggests..
<http://www.unisys.com/about__unisys/lzw>

Unfortunately, Unisys clouds the waters by continuing to mention,
"Unisys Corporation holds and has patents pending on a
number of improvements on the inventions claimed in
the above-expired patents. .."

...they offer an email address from which to request information
on the new patent(s and applications) but so far, 3 requests
to the email provided (from two separate addresses) have
resulted in 0 information from Unisys.

______________
...Do you want to try that email they offer, Roedy,
or do you have a FAX that can reach their 'Welch
Patent Licensing Department'?

--
Andrew Thompson
physci.org 1point1c.org javasaver.com lensescapes.com athompson.info
"Give me a ticket for an aeroplane, ain't got time to take a fast train.."
The Box Tops 'The Letter'


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.