Velocity Reviews

-   -   What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t144630-whats-an-appropriate-base-class-name-for-row-and-column.html)

- 07-05-2005 02:36 AM

What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?

What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?

+-------+
| ? |
+---+---+

+-------+------+
| |
+-------+ +--------+
| Row | | Column |
+-------+ +--------+

JohnH 07-05-2005 02:51 AM

Re: What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?

- wrote:
> What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?

Coordinate?

Jon Harrop 07-05-2005 04:47 AM

- wrote:

> What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?
>
> +-------+
> | ? |
> +---+---+
> |
> +-------+------+
> | |
> +-------+ +--------+
> | Row | | Column |
> +-------+ +--------+

Vector?

http://www.ffconsultancy.com

Chris Uppal 07-05-2005 07:48 AM

- wrote:

> What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?

Very good question.

I hit exactly the same problem earlier this year and found no completely
satisfactory answer. In the end I settled on "Rank" (in the sense of a
line, or row, of things).

-- chris

iamfractal@hotmail.com 07-05-2005 09:55 AM

- wrote:
> What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?
>
> +-------+
> | ? |
> +---+---+
> |
> +-------+------+
> | |
> +-------+ +--------+
> | Row | | Column |
> +-------+ +--------+

Cow?

..ed

Patricia Shanahan 07-05-2005 12:30 PM

Chris Uppal wrote:
> - wrote:
>

>>What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?

> Very good question.
>
> I hit exactly the same problem earlier this year and found no completely
> satisfactory answer. In the end I settled on "Rank" (in the sense of a
> line, or row, of things).
>
> -- chris

How about "Slice"? Although not all array slices are single rows or
columns, a row and a column are both examples of slices.

Patricia

Raymond DeCampo 07-05-2005 01:14 PM

Chris Uppal wrote:
> - wrote:
>

>>What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?

> Very good question.
>
> I hit exactly the same problem earlier this year and found no completely
> satisfactory answer. In the end I settled on "Rank" (in the sense of a
> line, or row, of things).

Why didn't you go with Line, since that doesn't require a further
explanation? :-)

(Actually, I can think of some reasons myself.)

Ray

--
XML is the programmer's duct tape.

Thomas Kellerer 07-05-2005 01:25 PM

On 05.07.2005 04:36 - wrote:

> What's an appropriate base class name for Row and Column?
>
> +-------+
> | ? |
> +---+---+
> |
> +-------+------+
> | |
> +-------+ +--------+
> | Row | | Column |
> +-------+ +--------+

I can't see any reason why the two of them should share a common base class
other then Object. What do they have in common?

A Row is a collection of Columns. That's the only relation I see there

Thomas

Thomas Kellerer 07-05-2005 03:30 PM

On 05.07.2005 17:44 Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:

> Thomas Kellerer <WVIJEVPANEHT@spammotel.com> writes:
>

>>A Row is a collection of Columns. That's the only relation I see there

> No, both are collections of cells.

OK, makes sense.

Thomas

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen 07-05-2005 03:44 PM