Velocity Reviews

-   -   Will application J2ME MIDP 2.0 based of one device run another J2ME MIDP 2.0 device? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t143723-will-application-j2me-midp-2-0-based-of-one-device-run-another-j2me-midp-2-0-device.html)

nishadixit 05-24-2005 12:19 PM

Will application J2ME MIDP 2.0 based of one device run another J2ME MIDP 2.0 device?

Hi,

A J2ME MIDP 2.0 based application running on one Mobile device.

Will this application run on another J2ME MIDP 2.0 supported device?
and
Will this application run on another J2ME MIDP 1.0 supported device?

Thanks in advance.

Nisha

Andrew Thompson 05-24-2005 12:40 PM

Re: Will application J2ME MIDP 2.0 based of one device run another J2ME MIDP 2.0 device?

On 24 May 2005 05:19:44 -0700, nishadixit wrote:

> Will this application run on another J2ME MIDP 1.0 supported device?

The J2ME Frequently Asked Questions List*, suggests 'no'.
* <http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/c/mcpierce/j2mefaq.html#what_version>
[ There were also a number of references throughout it mentioning
features of MIDP 2 that were unavailable in MIDP 1. ]

You might also find the answers to more of your questions there.

--
Andrew Thompson

Joe Discar 05-28-2005 03:23 PM

Re: Will application J2ME MIDP 2.0 based of one device runanother J2ME MIDP 2.0 device?

On 5/25/05 9:42 PM, in article 1d40iowbnt8b6.1x8ef25ce6ik3$.dlg@40tude.net,
"Andrew Thompson" <SeeMySites@www.invalid> wrote:

> On 25 May 2005 21:17:29 -0700, nishadixit wrote:
>

>> If I have two Mobile devices say A and B Both are supported J2ME MIDP
>> 2.0.

> The J2ME MIDP 2.0 -standard-.

....with caveats. If you program a MIDP 2.0 -standard- application using a
standard java extension (like JSR 82), the application may not run based on
the capability of the targets platforms. Case in point: Nokia's 9500 and
Motorola both have Bluetooth, but Motorola doesn't support JSR 82, so a
bluetooth Midlet will run correctly on the Nokia, but not on the Motorola (I
call this Motorola's penchant for "leading from behind"--they *defined* the
JSR 82 standard but you'd be hard pressed to find any of their phones
supporting it at any major phone shop in the US).

>> If i create an application for A device, Will this application run
>> device B?

> Yes.

Other things to look out for is support for RMS, Location API, 3D
graphics... And so forth. If you're just talking about the typical "input a
number and I'll calculate another number"... Yeah, you're pretty safe.

But as your MIDlet gets more complicated, you run into issues: how many
bytecodes per second the platform can handle, maximum number of threads,
maximum size of the heap. WRT the RMS thing--how fast the platform allows
you to write to the record store (if it allows you at all).

>> Similarly, This application will run on those device whose platform is
>> Palm OS.

> ?? I do not know. In fact, everything I *do* know about J2ME
> came from the document I linked to earlier, which was written
> by Darryl Pierce, the *other* person who replied to you.

Modern palms are rather good at keeping up to date with J2ME--they have the
advantage of being able to be conveniently upgraded.

nishadixit 05-31-2005 05:48 AM

List of Platform which J2ME MIDP supported

Hi,

tell me List of Platform( not devieces) which J2ME MIDP supported

Thanks

Nisha

Darryl Pierce 05-31-2005 10:34 AM

Re: List of Platform which J2ME MIDP supported

nishadixit wrote:
> tell me List of Platform( not devieces) which J2ME MIDP supported

Right after you define the difference between a platform and a device.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce@gmail.com>
Visit my homepage: http://mcpierce.multiply.com

Joe Discar 06-01-2005 05:40 AM

Re: List of Platform which J2ME MIDP supported

See if this one helps you:

http://www.j2mepolish.org/devices/midp2.html

On 5/30/05 10:48 PM, in article
1117518535.243021.265590@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups. com, "nishadixit"