Velocity Reviews

-   -   eclipse or NetBeans 4.0 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t143336-eclipse-or-netbeans-4-0-a.html)

Dexter 05-09-2005 01:59 PM

eclipse or NetBeans 4.0

Hi !

I am new to java and dng stuff on Java Media Framework. Which is the
best IDE for Java? I have Eclipse and NetBeans, both with latest
versions. Is there any other IDE which is more flexible and
userfriendly as Visual Studio 2003?

Thx for replying.
Dexter.

David Segall 05-09-2005 02:46 PM

Re: eclipse or NetBeans 4.0

"Dexter" <varun.dexter@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi !
>
>I am new to java and dng stuff on Java Media Framework. Which is the
>best IDE for Java? I have Eclipse and NetBeans, both with latest
>versions. Is there any other IDE which is more flexible and
>userfriendly as Visual Studio 2003?

I found JBuilder (http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/) the easiest
transition from Visual Basic. This is probably not surprising since
Visual Basic was developed after Delphi. The Foundation edition is a
free download.

Brandon J. Van Every 05-09-2005 08:11 PM

Re: eclipse or NetBeans 4.0

David Segall wrote:

>"Dexter" <varun.dexter@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi !
>>
>>I am new to java and dng stuff on Java Media Framework. Which is the
>>best IDE for Java? I have Eclipse and NetBeans, both with latest
>>versions. Is there any other IDE which is more flexible and
>>userfriendly as Visual Studio 2003?
>>

>I found JBuilder (http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/) the easiest
>transition from Visual Basic. This is probably not surprising since
>Visual Basic was developed after Delphi. The Foundation edition is a
>free download.

But consider that Borland is now a Strategic Developer in the Eclipse
foundation.
http://www.itwriting.com/jbuilderfutures.php.

--
Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com
Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
- anonymous entrepreneur

Noah Fiedel 05-09-2005 11:11 PM

Re: eclipse or NetBeans 4.0

Hi Dexter,
I've used eclipse & NetBeans a good deal now. Until a month
ago, I used eclipse mostly in my spare time (i.e. outside of work) for
testing out ideas & trying small sample apps. eclipse was nice & had
some great features - and I got fairly comfortable with it.
Then, a month ago, I started on a project with > 15,000 files
and > 50 ANT build scripts. The other developers on this project all
use NetBeans 3.x. I tried for a week to use eclipse and it was very
frustrating getting an existing, IDE-independent app to work. One day I
downloaded NetBeans 4.1 RC1 (release candidate) and it was immediately
useful. I've been productive with NB4.1RC1 from the first day, and only
found one bug which should be fixed in the final release. This bug, FYI
- NB4.1RC1 creates new Java files on Windows with Unix-style line
breaks (which I've since fixed in jEdit).
Anyhow - I would recommend trying both. If you want to do any
Swing UI development, NB4.1 (and earlier I think) has a pretty decent
drag and drop designer allowing for rapid prototyping & learning about
the available Swing components. Both have an expanding set of ANT build
capabilities & I would recommend keeping your scripts IDE independent
anyhow (i.e. build them yourself).

Best of luck on your project,
Noah

Kroll, Michael 05-10-2005 08:38 AM

Re: eclipse or NetBeans 4.0

Hello,

Dexter wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I am new to java and dng stuff on Java Media Framework. Which is the
> best IDE for Java? I have Eclipse and NetBeans, both with latest

both IDE are good for Java, I think Netbeans have all in one IDE.
In Eclipse you must search for plugins, this is not so easy to find out
the right plugins.
> versions. Is there any other IDE which is more flexible and
> userfriendly as Visual Studio 2003?

I use Netbeans 4.1rc2 in the moment, I think it's look more to Visual
Studio as Eclipse.

Take a look a booth IDE and decide self.
Or take a look to other IDE's (IDEA, JDeveloper, JBuilder).

Michael

--
http://www.smurfi.de