Velocity Reviews

-   -   Are there any interactive command line interpreters for java? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t142633-are-there-any-interactive-command-line-interpreters-for-java.html)

Charles Fox 04-11-2005 12:54 PM

Are there any interactive command line interpreters for java?

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to test out java classes from a command
line? Like you can do in python and matlab and visual basic?

Has anyone build such a CLI tool yet? Would it be possible? I've
seen Jython providing this kind of access to Java classes, I could use
that but it would be nicer to be able to type commands in Java syntax
instead of Python syntax as this would also allow be to test out code
fragments.

castillo.bryan@gmail.com 04-11-2005 04:49 PM

Re: Are there any interactive command line interpreters for java?

http://www.beanshell.org/home.html

Steve Horsley 04-11-2005 05:58 PM

Charles Fox wrote:
> Wouldn't it be nice to be able to test out java classes from a command
> line? Like you can do in python and matlab and visual basic?
>
> Has anyone build such a CLI tool yet? Would it be possible? I've
> seen Jython providing this kind of access to Java classes, I could use
> that but it would be nicer to be able to type commands in Java syntax
> instead of Python syntax as this would also allow be to test out code
> fragments.

Have a look at BlueJ (www.bluej.org). It's intended as a teaching
IDE, but it has a "workbench" where you can put class instances
and excercise them by hand.

Good software, free download.

Steve

Charles Fox 04-15-2005 11:14 AM

Re: Are there any interactive command line interpreters for java?

Thanks a lot -- they both look like just what I was looking for. I
think testing will be much more fun interactively!