Velocity Reviews

-   -   detecting a socket reset (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t138270-detecting-a-socket-reset.html)

Harvey Tate 11-09-2004 02:16 PM

detecting a socket reset

I am writing some code to read data from a socket. The server side
socket can reset and I am wondering how I detect the reset? Is there
an non-evasive way of detect a socket diconnect? I know I can do a
read and then catch the subsequent exception however is there a way to
detect the disconnect without doing the read?

Thanks

Andrew Thompson 11-09-2004 02:25 PM

Re: detecting a socket reset

On 9 Nov 2004 06:16:39 -0800, Harvey Tate wrote:

> I am writing some code to read data from a socket.

You mentioned that barely more than an hour
ago, and got a response.

--
Andrew Thompson

Harvey Tate 11-10-2004 09:50 AM

Re: detecting a socket reset

Andrew Thompson <SeeMySites@www.invalid> wrote in message news:<1vxxrztsl92pz.1h1juxauosn20.dlg@40tude.net>. ..
> On 9 Nov 2004 06:16:39 -0800, Harvey Tate wrote:
>
> > I am writing some code to read data from a socket.

> You mentioned that barely more than an hour
> ago, and got a response.

I think I hit the submit button twice by accident...

Andrew Thompson 11-10-2004 10:26 AM

Re: detecting a socket reset

On 10 Nov 2004 01:50:10 -0800, Harvey Tate wrote:

> Andrew Thompson <SeeMySites@www.invalid> wrote in message news:<1vxxrztsl92pz.1h1juxauosn20.dlg@40tude.net>. ..
>> On 9 Nov 2004 06:16:39 -0800, Harvey Tate wrote:
>>
>>> I am writing some code to read data from a socket.

>> You mentioned that barely more than an hour
>> ago, and got a response.

> I think I hit the submit button twice by accident...

I thought so too, in that case I might have made no comment,
until I realised your posts were not separated by
'a couple of seconds' which might support the
'hit button twice' hypothesis.

No, instead the posts were separated by approximately
'one hour ten minutes'. This completely does *not* support the
'hit button twice' hypothesis (or if that's what you consider a
'double click' - I'd hate see your work output stats!)

[ Or, in other words. Don't give me that crap. ]

--
Andrew Thompson

Sudsy 11-10-2004 10:25 PM

Re: detecting a socket reset

Andrew Thompson wrote:
<snip>
> No, instead the posts were separated by approximately
> 'one hour ten minutes'. This completely does *not* support the
> 'hit button twice' hypothesis (or if that's what you consider a
> 'double click' - I'd hate see your work output stats!)
>
> [ Or, in other words. Don't give me that crap. ]

So harsh! Then again, a fair observation...
Note to OP: don't try to hoodwink people who've been "around a bit"
("...around a bit...she's from Purley!")