Velocity Reviews

-   -   Experienced programmer: where to start with Java? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t137889-experienced-programmer-where-to-start-with-java.html)

Dave 10-22-2004 09:57 PM

Experienced programmer: where to start with Java?

I'm an experienced programmer with a strong background in OOP and I'm
interested in learning Java. I pick up languages very quickly, so the
syntax does not concern me, although I suspect, like most languages,
it takes time to gain experience learning the libraries and foundation
classes. I'm wondering where to start with Java. I'm not talking
about the Java For Dummies. I mean what aspects of Java should I be
learning: applets, programs, wireless? I realize it's used in a wide
variety of devices and environments, so my main question is: I don't
even know what I want to do with it yet, I just like it - where do I
start?

Any ideas?

Will Hartung 10-22-2004 11:33 PM

Re: Experienced programmer: where to start with Java?

"Dave" <java@cicomputing.com> wrote in message
news:ebde8b03.0410221357.2353ead4@posting.google.c om...
> I'm an experienced programmer with a strong background in OOP and I'm
> interested in learning Java. I pick up languages very quickly, so the
> syntax does not concern me, although I suspect, like most languages,
> it takes time to gain experience learning the libraries and foundation
> classes. I'm wondering where to start with Java. I'm not talking
> about the Java For Dummies. I mean what aspects of Java should I be
> learning: applets, programs, wireless? I realize it's used in a wide
> variety of devices and environments, so my main question is: I don't
> even know what I want to do with it yet, I just like it - where do I
> start?

You need to approach it from the other end. For all the reasons you
mentioned, you should pick "what do you want to do" and start there. Since
you can pretty much do anything you want, don't "learn Java", choose a task
and then simply use it, and learn the appropriate bits as you go along. Note
that most folks who just want to "learn C" don't have this question, they
simply do what they want and go from there.

All of the the multitude of Java acronyms and projects et al are worthless
if they're not applicable to your application. Let your application guide
you.

There's nothing stopping you from browsing the rest of the store, but don't
let it overwhelm you or distract you from whatever it is you plan on doing.

Good luck!

Regards,

Will Hartung
(willh@msoft.com)

Thomas G. Marshall 10-23-2004 04:21 AM

Re: Experienced programmer: where to start with Java?

Will Hartung coughed up:
> "Dave" <java@cicomputing.com> wrote in message
> news:ebde8b03.0410221357.2353ead4@posting.google.c om...
>> I'm an experienced programmer with a strong background in OOP and I'm
>> interested in learning Java. I pick up languages very quickly, so
>> the syntax does not concern me, although I suspect, like most
>> languages, it takes time to gain experience learning the libraries
>> and foundation classes. I'm wondering where to start with Java.
>> I'm not talking about the Java For Dummies. I mean what aspects of
>> Java should I be learning: applets, programs, wireless? I realize
>> it's used in a wide variety of devices and environments, so my main
>> question is: I don't even know what I want to do with it yet, I just
>> like it - where do I start?

> You need to approach it from the other end. For all the reasons you
> mentioned, you should pick "what do you want to do" and start there.

The OP has pointed out that he doesn't know what to do with it yet.
Therefore given two questions that need to be answered:

1. What do I make?
2. What tools do I use?

he has clearly pointed out that #1 is an unknown, so he is answering #2 by
picking java out of the air for his own reasons and then asking where within
java does he start.

Nothing wrong with that at all. IMO, the OP is approaching this perfectly.

He wants to learn java. Sometimes you just need to resign yourself to
learning the tool, regardless of what you may or may not have to accomplish
at that precise moment in time. It's important to learn new tools,
languages being among them, even if it's the only goal.

....[rip]...

--
Whyowhydidn'tsunmakejavarequireanuppercaseletterto startclassnames....

Thomas G. Marshall 10-23-2004 04:29 AM

Re: Experienced programmer: where to start with Java?

Dave coughed up:
> I'm an experienced programmer with a strong background in OOP and I'm
> interested in learning Java. I pick up languages very quickly, so the
> syntax does not concern me, although I suspect, like most languages,
> it takes time to gain experience learning the libraries and foundation
> classes. I'm wondering where to start with Java. I'm not talking
> about the Java For Dummies. I mean what aspects of Java should I be
> learning: applets, programs, wireless? I realize it's used in a wide
> variety of devices and environments, so my main question is: I don't
> even know what I want to do with it yet, I just like it - where do I
> start?
>
> Any ideas?

IMO, the place to start are java applications. Not strictly server side,
not applet, not wireless, but stand-alone java programs.

You will be faced with the minimum of these issues:

1. Java's take on statically typed OO
2. Java's threading
3. The various gui packages

My advice to you is the same that I give to junior engineers in this regard:
pick a utility, design and code it up. You'll come face to face with all
the issues pretty quick.

--
Whyowhydidn'tsunmakejavarequireanuppercaseletterto startclassnames....

marcus 10-24-2004 06:47 PM

Re: Experienced programmer: where to start with Java?

> I mean what aspects of Java should I be
> learning: applets, programs, wireless?

my opinion, for what it's worth, is Java is largely used for web
services, so learn servlets, beans, deployment.

Jacob 10-25-2004 04:21 AM

marcus wrote:

> my opinion, for what it's worth, is Java is largely used for web
> services, so learn servlets, beans, deployment.

Java is *also* used for web services. As a general purpose language
it is used within almost any area imaginable. Due to its strong
library API, Java is the natural choice for non-web applications.

Jacob 10-25-2004 04:27 AM

Dave wrote:

> I mean what aspects of Java should I be learning:
> applets, programs, wireless?

Don't care about applets. It's a dead (-end) technology.

If applets (lightweight programs invoked remote through
a web browser) think Java application and Java Web Start
instead.

Andrew Thompson 10-25-2004 06:33 AM

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 06:27:54 +0200, Jacob wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>
>> I mean what aspects of Java should I be learning:
> > applets, programs, wireless?

> Don't care about applets.

This person is probably best advised to avoid applets,
at least initially. Anything that can be done in applets
can be done in applications (with slight alterations), and
applications are a lot easier to develop, debug and deploy.

>..It's a dead (-end) technology.

Don't be silly. There are a number of niche applications
for which applets are well suited.
- On-line banking
- Small games tied into web-based competitions
- Interactive, over the web games.
- 3D modelling
- animation
- slideshows
- scrolling banners
- web based
- CMS
- phonebook
- calender..
- IRC/chat client..

--
Andrew Thompson

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen 10-25-2004 08:18 AM

Andrew Thompson <SeeMySites@www.invalid> writes:

> - Interactive, over the web games.

No, Flash is far better suited for this.

> - 3D modelling

No, the Java3D API has native components that don't install easily
into an applet environment.

> - scrolling banners

They are inherently evil.

Andrew Thompson 10-25-2004 09:31 AM

On 25 Oct 2004 10:18:58 +0200, Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:

>> - 3D modelling

> No, the Java3D API has native components that don't install easily
> into an applet environment.

Try these..
<http://www.1point1c.org/model/index.jsp?mdl=orb&mag=50&offsetx=0&rotx=1&roty=-1>
<http://www.1point1c.org/model/index.jsp?mdl=cv&mag=35&offsetx=25&rotx=-8&roty=3>

Java 1.1 compatible, powered by LiveGraphics3D
<http://wwwvis.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/~kraus/LiveGraphics3D/>

--
Andrew Thompson