Velocity Reviews

-   -   A better looking JTable (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t136884-a-better-looking-jtable.html)

Rob W 09-15-2004 03:27 AM

A better looking JTable

I want to create a JTable that emulates the appearance of native tables
on Windows and OSX. In particular, if the panel that a table is in is
taller than the size of the table (due to the table only having a few
rows), I want the extra space in the table to be filled with empty
cells, so that the table fills the whole panel.

This behaviour is present in most native apps I've seen that use tables.
A good example is the iTunes songs list.

My specific scenario is that I have a table which may contain only 1
row, or may contain as many as 50 (typically it contains 2 or 3 rows).x

I want to display this table in a pane that is resizable.

This means that the table may have a lot of extra veritcal space,
relative to the rows being displayed. I want it to fill the unused,
lower part of the pane with empty cells as the pane is made larger (and
when it is first drawn).

Is there a simple way to do this, or do I need to create a custom JTable
class to paint the table as described?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Rob

Paul Lutus 09-15-2004 04:40 AM

Re: A better looking JTable

Rob W wrote:

> I want to create a JTable that emulates the appearance of native tables
> on Windows and OSX. In particular, if the panel that a table is in is
> taller than the size of the table (due to the table only having a few
> rows), I want the extra space in the table to be filled with empty
> cells, so that the table fills the whole panel.
>
> This behaviour is present in most native apps I've seen that use tables.
> A good example is the iTunes songs list.
>
> My specific scenario is that I have a table which may contain only 1
> row, or may contain as many as 50 (typically it contains 2 or 3 rows).x
>
> I want to display this table in a pane that is resizable.
>
> This means that the table may have a lot of extra veritcal space,
> relative to the rows being displayed. I want it to fill the unused,
> lower part of the pane with empty cells as the pane is made larger (and
> when it is first drawn).
>
> Is there a simple way to do this, or do I need to create a custom JTable
> class to paint the table as described?
>
> Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Add empty rows to your table. Create a class that fills in the JTable to the
degree necessary to meet your requirement without actually creating
meaningless data in the original data set.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com