Velocity Reviews

-   -   Compiling and running with different revisions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t136573-compiling-and-running-with-different-revisions.html)

Will 09-02-2004 03:07 PM

Compiling and running with different revisions

Ok, silly question but I can't seem to find the answer. If I compile
with JDK version 1.3.1_07 can I run my code without problems on a JRE
1.4.2_xx? I think the answer should be yes, but I just want to make
sure. I know that some of the JREs behave differently (bug fixes,
etc.) but they are still forward/backward compatible, right?
My specific problem, should someone already have another fix, is that
in 1.3.1_07 the JFileChooser is crippled and annoying compared to the
native Windows dialog. It cannot rename folders or files
successfully, it cannot jump to the file starting with the same letter
you pressed, and the look and feel occassionally hiccups. I'm hoping
some or all of these bugs have been corrected in later JREs and that I
won't have to recompile my code since the JFileChooser is part of
Sun's packages and should just get linked to, not compiled in with
mine. Any thoughts? Or any alternatives to the JFileChooser class?
-Will

Paul Lutus 09-02-2004 03:48 PM

Re: Compiling and running with different revisions

Will wrote:

> Ok, silly question but I can't seem to find the answer. If I compile
> with JDK version 1.3.1_07 can I run my code without problems on a JRE
> 1.4.2_xx?

The answer for this specific example should be "yes", but in some cases
(with a greater gap between versions) there are differences that could
create problems.

Why not test your application on each version you intend to support?

> I think the answer should be yes, but I just want to make
> sure. I know that some of the JREs behave differently (bug fixes,
> etc.) but they are still forward/backward compatible, right?

In general, yes, but it is always prudent to test your application with the
target versions.

> My specific problem, should someone already have another fix, is that
> in 1.3.1_07 the JFileChooser is crippled and annoying compared to the
> native Windows dialog. It cannot rename folders or files
> successfully, it cannot jump to the file starting with the same letter
> you pressed, and the look and feel occassionally hiccups. I'm hoping
> some or all of these bugs have been corrected in later JREs and that I
> won't have to recompile my code since the JFileChooser is part of
> Sun's packages and should just get linked to, not compiled in with
> mine.

For this particular example, you really should recompile with a later
version to see the outcome. And in general, it is a good idea to tell the
users of your program which Java versions are supported/expected.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com