Velocity Reviews

-   -   distributed application definition (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t135671-distributed-application-definition.html)

Matt 07-29-2004 05:08 AM

distributed application definition

I am confused with the definition of distributed application. Do we consider
client-server application or internet application as distributed application?
For example, J2EE applications such as JSP, EJB applications?

please advise. thanks!!

Roedy Green 07-29-2004 06:58 AM

Re: distributed application definition

On 28 Jul 2004 22:08:02 -0700, jrefactors@hotmail.com (Matt) wrote or
quoted :

>I am confused with the definition of distributed application.

It is when the calculation is spread over several computers. Using a
browser does not count as calculation; running an Applet would.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Michael Borgwardt 07-29-2004 08:22 AM

Matt wrote:

> I am confused with the definition of distributed application. Do we consider
> client-server application or internet application as distributed application?

There is no standard definition. Personally, I'd say that yes, all of those
are distributed applications, because you have to spend thought and effort
on things that only arise because different parts of the program run on
different computers.

Even in a "simple" web application you have to take care of issues such as
multiple submits of forms.

> For example, J2EE applications such as JSP, EJB applications?

One of the main advantages of EJB is that it makes it relatively easy to
move to a clustered solution - and then it's a distributed application by
even the most restrictive definition.