Velocity Reviews

-   -   Use java to grab PDF file from SQL Server and send directly to printer? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t135405-use-java-to-grab-pdf-file-from-sql-server-and-send-directly-to-printer.html)

Ellie 07-20-2004 08:20 PM

Use java to grab PDF file from SQL Server and send directly to printer?

I'm stumped. We're building a Struts app running on Websphere on
Win2k, with a SQL Server backend. They want pdf files stored in the
database; they're in there as Image datatypes.

My mission is to grab the pdf(s) from the resultset and send it/them
directly to the user's printer.

I've found some nifty command-line solutions that allow printing of a
FILE, but I'm looking for a solution that basically allows me to print
a FileOutputStream. Or do I create a file on the fly, print it using
command line, and destroy it?

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Andrew Thompson 07-20-2004 08:50 PM

Re: Use java to grab PDF file from SQL Server and send directly to printer?

On 20 Jul 2004 13:20:33 -0700, Ellie wrote:

> I'm stumped. We're ..

'We' who? Do you work for hotmail?
Or perhaps do you just hear voices?

>..building a Struts app running on Websphere on
> Win2k, with a SQL Server backend. They

'They' who??

>..want pdf files stored in the
> database; they're in there as Image datatypes.
>
> My mission

Oh it's a *mission*.. did your instructions
'self destruct' after seven seconds ..is your
company ..*the* *company* ;-)

>...is to grab the pdf(s) from the resultset and send it/them
> directly to the user's printer.

What 'user'? Which leads me to, is this
an intranet, or the internet?

On an intranet using mostly IE/Win you could
probably achieve the effect you want by setting
the insecure OS component's security settings
insanely low and using some 'doze hax.

On the internet? No way!
What are you, on drugs?!?

And in future, please do not cross-post to
so many groups, and do not post to invalid groups
such as comp.lang.java (yes, yes, I *know* your
host carries it, that does not make it valid)
c.l.j. dropped from follow-ups.

[ HTH ]

--
Andrew Thompson