Velocity Reviews

-   -   encrypting passwords (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t132563-encrypting-passwords.html)

anonymous@coolgroups.com 04-14-2004 08:09 PM

encrypting passwords

does java have any good algorithms for encrypting passwords

Matt Humphrey 04-14-2004 10:19 PM

Re: encrypting passwords

<anonymous@coolgroups.com> wrote in message
news:e5e401d395404272fe25ec249102bef9@news.scbiz.c om...
> does java have any good algorithms for encrypting passwords

You need to check out the Java Cryptography Extension (JCE). It is very
extensive and provides a framework for accessing algorithms implemented by
3rd party organizations. I found the O'Reilly book on Java Cryptography to
be very useful.

Cheers,
Matt Humphrey matth@ivizNOSPAM.com http://www.iviz.com/

Michael Borgwardt 04-15-2004 08:26 AM

Re: encrypting passwords

anonymous@coolgroups.com wrote:

> does java have any good algorithms for encrypting passwords

Note that passwords are not usually encrypted, they're hashed.