Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is there a standard data-driven desktop application framework (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t132499-is-there-a-standard-data-driven-desktop-application-framework.html)

John Chrisman 04-13-2004 04:07 AM

Is there a standard data-driven desktop application framework

Hello.

I am new to Java. I've been looking around to see if there are any standard
data-driven desktop application frameworks. I can find all kinds of
information about data-driven web frameworks, nothing about desktops.

I realize Java hasn't been very popular for desktop apps. I think with all
the new features added over the last couple of years it will (hopefully) be
used more often for desktop apps.

The type of applications I develop are your standard read data from the
database, display data to user, validate user changes, save changes to the
database. Question is, is there a standard and known "best way" to do this?

All of these types of applications are basically the same, so I figured
someone must have already researched the "best way".

Alex Molochnikov 04-13-2004 06:59 AM

Re: Is there a standard data-driven desktop application framework

Have a look at STEP FORWARD: www.gestalt.com

Dan Gravell 04-13-2004 12:59 PM

John Chrisman wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am new to Java. I've been looking around to see if there are any standard
> data-driven desktop application frameworks. I can find all kinds of
> information about data-driven web frameworks, nothing about desktops.
>
> I realize Java hasn't been very popular for desktop apps. I think with all
> the new features added over the last couple of years it will (hopefully) be
> used more often for desktop apps.
>
> The type of applications I develop are your standard read data from the
> database, display data to user, validate user changes, save changes to the
> database. Question is, is there a standard and known "best way" to do this?
>
> All of these types of applications are basically the same, so I figured
> someone must have already researched the "best way".

Naked Objects?