Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to determine JDK install directory and/or do silent install of J2SE? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t131277-how-to-determine-jdk-install-directory-and-or-do-silent-install-of-j2se.html)

RJGraham 02-12-2004 02:34 AM

How to determine JDK install directory and/or do silent install of J2SE?

Hello,

I'm writing an installer using InstallAnywhere which will, among other
things, install a JDK (J2SE 1.4x) on a windows machine.

Sun provides an interactive .exe installer for windows that allows a user to
select an install directory for J2SE.
How do I get theJDK install directory so I can use it in my installer?
Also, is it possible to do a silent install of J2SE, passing it the install
directory?

Thanks for any help.

-Randy

nos 02-12-2004 03:38 AM

Re: How to determine JDK install directory and/or do silent install of J2SE?

"RJGraham" <spamcop_764376_@surfbytes_123_._5637.com_4785> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm writing an installer using InstallAnywhere which will, among other
> things, install a JDK (J2SE 1.4x) on a windows machine.
>
> Sun provides an interactive .exe installer for windows that allows a user

> select an install directory for J2SE.
> How do I get theJDK install directory so I can use it in my installer?
> Also, is it possible to do a silent install of J2SE, passing it the

install
> directory?

I hope not.

RJGraham 02-12-2004 04:34 AM

Re: How to determine JDK install directory and/or do silent install of J2SE?

Why not?

nos 02-12-2004 09:20 AM

> Why not?

I assume it means that someone can install
something on my pc without my knowledge
and concent. Sounds like a virus.

Steve W. Jackson 02-12-2004 10:05 PM

Re: How to determine JDK install directory and/or do silent install of J2SE?

In article <2v2dndVHrYfXe7fdRVn2uQ@giganews.com>,
"RJGraham" <spamcop_764376_@surfbytes_123_._5637.com_4785> wrote:

>:Hello,
>:
>:I'm writing an installer using InstallAnywhere which will, among other
>:things, install a JDK (J2SE 1.4x) on a windows machine.
>:
>:Sun provides an interactive .exe installer for windows that allows a user to
>:select an install directory for J2SE.
>:How do I get theJDK install directory so I can use it in my installer?
>:Also, is it possible to do a silent install of J2SE, passing it the install
>:directory?
>:
>:Thanks for any help.
>:
>:-Randy

Your question might better be asked on a ZeroG forum. But I might
suggest you skip trying to "install" a JDK via user interaction and
instead simply install one by including a VM pack with your installer.
My application does exactly that (Windows and Linux). We got tired of
people refusing to follow the directions that said what Java 2 version
they required if they didn't install one, so we just packaged it with
the application. It's unregistered on Windows, so that the app's own
install directory has a "jre" directory there and it's what we use.
Works great.

= Steve =
--
Steve W. Jackson
Montgomery, Alabama

Ryan Stewart 02-13-2004 01:00 AM

> "RJGraham" <spamcop_764376_@surfbytes_123_._5637.com_4785> wrote in

message
> > Why not?

> I assume it means that someone can install
> something on my pc without my knowledge
> and concent. Sounds like a virus.

Fine print from the bottom of the DirectX 9.0 dowload page:

DirectX 9.0b has a silent install (no UI, and no reboot) which is available
to Microsoft Volume License Customers (VLC) on the following Microsoft
Volume License Site (MVLS). This is a Multi-lingual package which does not
require an internet connection during installation.

RJGraham 02-13-2004 03:57 AM

Re: How to determine JDK install directory and/or do silent install of J2SE?

> >:I'm writing an installer using InstallAnywhere which will, among other
> >:things, install a JDK (J2SE 1.4x) on a windows machine.

> Your question might better be asked on a ZeroG forum. But I might
> suggest you skip trying to "install" a JDK via user interaction and
> instead simply install one by including a VM pack with your installer.
> My application does exactly that (Windows and Linux). We got tired of
> people refusing to follow the directions that said what Java 2 version
> they required if they didn't install one, so we just packaged it with
> the application. It's unregistered on Windows, so that the app's own
> install directory has a "jre" directory there and it's what we use.
> Works great.
>
> = Steve =

Thanks Steve.

Yes, I'll head over to the zeroG forum.

I need to install a JDK, not just a JRE and for some reason all the VM packs
are JREs.

-Randy

nos 02-14-2004 08:10 AM

"Ryan Stewart" <zzanNOtozz@gSPAMo.com> wrote in message
> "nos" <nos@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "RJGraham" <spamcop_764376_@surfbytes_123_._5637.com_4785> wrote in

> message
> > > Why not?

> > I assume it means that someone can install
> > something on my pc without my knowledge
> > and concent. Sounds like a virus.

> Fine print from the bottom of the DirectX 9.0 dowload page:
>
> DirectX 9.0b has a silent install (no UI, and no reboot) which is

available
> to Microsoft Volume License Customers (VLC) on the following Microsoft
> Volume License Site (MVLS). This is a Multi-lingual package which does not
> require an internet connection during installation.

Since DirectX comes from MS they, so far, have been using certificates
for security and then I have the option to allow or reject the certificate.
Which makes it not silent.

Ryan Stewart 02-14-2004 02:19 PM

> "Ryan Stewart" <zzanNOtozz@gSPAMo.com> wrote in message
> > "nos" <nos@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "RJGraham" <spamcop_764376_@surfbytes_123_._5637.com_4785> wrote in

> > message
> > >
> > > I assume it means that someone can install
> > > something on my pc without my knowledge
> > > and concent. Sounds like a virus.

> > Fine print from the bottom of the DirectX 9.0 dowload page:
> >
> > DirectX 9.0b has a silent install (no UI, and no reboot) which is

> available
> > to Microsoft Volume License Customers (VLC) on the following Microsoft
> > Volume License Site (MVLS). This is a Multi-lingual package which does

not
> > require an internet connection during installation.

> Since DirectX comes from MS they, so far, have been using certificates
> for security and then I have the option to allow or reject the

certificate.
> Which makes it not silent.

It's in a special download for Microsoft Volume License Customers, like to
include in off-the-shelf software. So theoretically, it looks like you could
install any given program and get DirectX installed without even knowing it.