Velocity Reviews

-   -   SOAP applicable in this scenario ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t130719-soap-applicable-in-this-scenario.html)

Tristan 01-26-2004 03:12 PM

SOAP applicable in this scenario ?

Hi,

first the case:
I want to implement a distributed application (client/server
architecture).
The server collects UDP packets from somewhere else. The client or
clients must somehow get these packets from the server in real time. I
mean if there are UDP packets coming to the server, the server should
immediately forward these packets to each client. It would be a great
thing if the clients could be behind a firewall, so that no network
settings are needed (e.g. open certain ports). So my idea was to use
SOAP as communication protocol.
The problem is that I have to do permanently SOAP RPCs to ask the
server if there are new packets. I think that's not so good,
especially if there are many clients, I get performance problems. Is
there a solution to solve the problem of real time passing of
information with SOAP ?

Thank you.

Bye, Tristan.

Hugo Pragt 01-26-2004 05:58 PM

Re: SOAP applicable in this scenario ?

Hi, here's my two pence:

1) SOAP is an expensive protocol, I don't know how many UDP packets per
second you are planning to process, but maybe you want something less
expensive (=CPU consuming)..

2) When all your clients run a SOAP server, you can push the SOAP envelopes
to them, instead of them polling the server. This is almost anythime a
better scaleable solution.

3) If you have A LOT of clients you can make some or all of them subhosts,
creating your own DNS like network for forwarding information.

news:9b593766.0401260712.20a511a2@posting.google.c om...