Velocity Reviews

-   -   J2ME IrDA access on mobile phones (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t130645-j2me-irda-access-on-mobile-phones.html)

Chris 01-23-2004 02:42 PM

J2ME IrDA access on mobile phones

Hi,

I am trying to found out if it is possible to access the IrDA ports on
java enabled mobile phones (eg T610) through a J2ME app. I have read
through numerous postings but found nothing conclusive. Best info so
far appears to be:

http://www.wmlscript.it/j2me/api20/j...onnection.html

http://j2medevices.com/documentation...e-summary.html

Can anyone confirm whether this is possible? If not, what will make
this possible in the future and when will it be available?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Anton Spaans 01-23-2004 03:01 PM

Re: J2ME IrDA access on mobile phones

I think it is going to be difficult, if not impossible.

look at this thread from the Nokia Developer Forum:
http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...adid=34929&hig
hlight=%2Airda%2A
(text of that msg:
It is not possible to connect to IrDA, neither for MIDP 1.0 nor MIDP 2.0
applications. The only 'access' you have to a local communication device is
the bluetooth device, supported by MIDP 2.0 mobiles.

Hope that helps.
h.arald
)

It seems the only way to use IrDA for communications is to make your phone
act like a modem through your IrDA and then establish HTTP or similar
connections to a server running on the other device.
Good luck.

-- Anton Spaans.

news:c649d9c3.0401230642.f727e75@posting.google.co m...

http://j2medevices.com/documentation...n/io/package-s

Darryl L. Pierce 01-23-2004 04:39 PM

Chris wrote:

> I am trying to found out if it is possible to access the IrDA ports on
> java enabled mobile phones (eg T610) through a J2ME app. I have read
> through numerous postings but found nothing conclusive.

Only if the OEM has enabled opening their irDA port via the Generic
Connection Framework. The only connection guaranteed to be available on any
platform is HttpConnection. I'm not aware of any OEM APIs on the S/E phones
for irDA communication.

> Best info so
> far appears to be:
>
> http://www.wmlscript.it/j2me/api20/j...icroedition/io

CommConnection.html

This is for the MIDP 2.0 and not for MIDP 1.0 (which is what the T610 is, if
I'm not mistaken). And, it's not guaranteed to be present on any device.

> http://j2medevices.com/documentation...icroedition/io

package-summary.html

> Can anyone confirm whether this is possible? If not, what will make
> this possible in the future and when will it be available?

Since not all devices have irDA, the MIDP will probably never require
CommConnection on a platform. However, you should be able to check whether
it's possible to create such a connection and, if it's not, fail gracefully
with a note to the user.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce@myrealbox.com>
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

Darryl L. Pierce 01-26-2004 03:37 AM

"Anton Spaans" <aspaans at(noSPAM) smarttime dot(noSPAM) com> wrote:

> I think it is going to be difficult, if not impossible.
>
> look at this thread from the Nokia Developer Forum:
> http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum

showthread.php?s=&threadid=34929&hig
> hlight=%2Airda%2A
> (text of that msg:
> It is not possible to connect to IrDA, neither for MIDP 1.0 nor MIDP 2.0
> applications. The only 'access' you have to a local communication device
> is the bluetooth device, supported by MIDP 2.0 mobiles.

Incorrect. Bluetooth access if a part of JSR-82 and *not* MIDP 2.0; i.e.,
MIDP 1.0 devices could support Bluetooth if they have JSR-82 supported. As
for accessing irDA, it is possible, though that speaks nothing of whether
it's *available* on any particular device. The article you mention is from
a Nokia-specific website.

alexvesp123 09-19-2008 06:24 PM

manage irda in j2me

hi, mi name is alex, and after investigating so hard, i found how to do
a program that send strings by irda, to another movil.

if you want to know how to do that, please write me

alexvesp123@hotmail.com

alexvesp123 09-19-2008 06:25 PM

irda

my email is alexvesp123@hotmail.com