Velocity Reviews

-   -   Green threads in Java (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t130194-green-threads-in-java.html)

Naresh Agarwal 01-09-2004 05:55 AM

Green threads in Java

Hi

I read from some where that Java supports two threading models -
native and green threads.

What are the differences between two and are these supported on all
platforms?

thanks,
Naresh

Igor L 01-09-2004 08:31 AM

Re: Green threads in Java

in green threads model only one operating system thread is used by java
virtual machine for all java threads you use in your programs. in native
threads model, for every thread you create in java you get one separate
operating system thread.

as i know, on windows nt, only native threads exist while on solaris
platform, exist both models. on older JVM on solaris only green threads
model existed.

news:2b4b56fb.0401082155.22cf0c4@posting.google.co m...

Andrew Thompson 01-09-2004 12:54 PM

Re: Green threads in Java

"Naresh Agarwal" <nagarwal@informatica.com> wrote in message
news:2b4b56fb.0401082155.22cf0c4@posting.google.co m...
| Hi
|
| I read from some where that Java supports two threading
models -
| native and green threads.

Native are when you leave them out in the field,
whereas green are generally grown under lights. ;-)
A short 'Google' later.

OK - it looks like something related to early
VM's on Solaris machines. Since the references
I saw related to 1999, I would have to guess
all the information on it is just about redundant.

Get yourself a newer book?

--
Andrew Thompson