Velocity Reviews

-   -   Choosing a free tool to develop Web Services (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t129729-choosing-a-free-tool-to-develop-web-services.html)

Araxes Tharsis 12-18-2003 11:55 AM

Choosing a free tool to develop Web Services

Hi,

I am beginning to design a Java application that accesses a mainframe with
IBM Host On-Demand, and should expose its functionalities to
..NET/VB6/C++/Java applications through Web Services. I don't want to use any
Application Servers, so I was wondering what should be the best, and no
cost, approach:

- JAX-RPC (explained in Sun Web Services Tutorial)?;
- Apache Axis ?;
- Systinet WASP (free for one CPU)?;
- IBM WSDK ?

Any comments appreciated.
Thank you very much,
Araxes Tharsis

James 12-24-2003 11:56 PM

Re: Choosing a free tool to develop Web Services

No app servers - are you hosting one on the mainframe? JAX-RPC is slow, IBM
is proprietary, check into Axis and Soap And WSDL. Soap is the language of
interoperability.