Velocity Reviews

-   -   Java with EXE and Virtual Machine (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t129403-java-with-exe-and-virtual-machine.html)

E Tepp 12-06-2003 08:57 PM

Java with EXE and Virtual Machine

Hello Everyone,

I would like to know if it is possible to compile a java program, that
I have written, into an exe file for window and does not require a
virtual machine to run. I know I would only be able to run the program
on a windows platform but that would be fine.

If this is not possible, does anyone know if it is legal to freely
distribute java virtaul machine with a program that is intended for
resale?

Thank You,
Elliott

Chris Smith 12-06-2003 10:56 PM

Re: Java with EXE and Virtual Machine

E Tepp wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to compile a java program, that
> I have written, into an exe file for window and does not require a
> virtual machine to run. I know I would only be able to run the program
> on a windows platform but that would be fine.

Yep, it's possible. Not necessarily free. Two good products that do it
are "Excelsior Jet" and "Instantiations JOVE", and a Google search
should turn up web sites for both.

On Linux, there's also gcj, which is free but less full-featured. I'm
not aware of free products to do this on Windows.

> If this is not possible, does anyone know if it is legal to freely
> distribute java virtaul machine with a program that is intended for
> resale?

Yes, of course it's possible. People do it every day. There are some
restrictions (for example, you can only distribute the JRE, not the
whole SDK; and if you install the JVM silently, you have to arrange for
the user to agree to Sun's license terms and conditions first.). If you
don't understand something about the license, you should of course have
your attorney look it over first.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

LDV 12-07-2003 12:11 PM

Chris Smith <cdsmith@twu.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.1a3c0c895acafda9989807@news.pop4.net>...
> E Tepp wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > I would like to know if it is possible to compile a java program, that
> > I have written, into an exe file for window and does not require a
> > virtual machine to run.

> Two good products that do it are "Excelsior Jet" and "Instantiations JOVE",
> and a Google search should turn up web sites for both.

JOVE is discontinued, and its Web page suggests considering JET as an
alternative:

http://www.instantiations.com/jove/

> On Linux, there's also gcj, which is free but less full-featured. I'm
> not aware of free products to do this on Windows.

Excelsior JET, Personal Edition is free for private non-commercial use
(i.e. you cannot distribute the compiled program, but only run it on
your own system, so that product looks more like a Java accelerator
actually.)

It should be possible to run GCJ on Windows under CygWin.

LDV

E Tepp 12-08-2003 04:19 PM

ldv@mail.com (LDV) wrote in message news:<128f38cc.0312070411.738bbbd1@posting.google. com>...
> Chris Smith <cdsmith@twu.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.1a3c0c895acafda9989807@news.pop4.net>...
> > E Tepp wrote:
> > > Hello Everyone,
> > >
> > > I would like to know if it is possible to compile a java program, that
> > > I have written, into an exe file for window and does not require a
> > > virtual machine to run.

> > Two good products that do it are "Excelsior Jet" and "Instantiations JOVE",
> > and a Google search should turn up web sites for both.

> JOVE is discontinued, and its Web page suggests considering JET as an
> alternative:
>
> http://www.instantiations.com/jove/
>
> > On Linux, there's also gcj, which is free but less full-featured. I'm
> > not aware of free products to do this on Windows.

> Excelsior JET, Personal Edition is free for private non-commercial use
> (i.e. you cannot distribute the compiled program, but only run it on
> your own system, so that product looks more like a Java accelerator
> actually.)
>
> It should be possible to run GCJ on Windows under CygWin.
>
> LDV

Thanks everyone. This has been very helpful.

Regards,