Velocity Reviews

-   -   Debugging local variables in JBoss/Tomcat using Eclipse (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t128800-debugging-local-variables-in-jboss-tomcat-using-eclipse.html)

Ronald 11-18-2003 09:34 AM

Debugging local variables in JBoss/Tomcat using Eclipse

Hi,

Currently I'm using Eclipse / Jboss / Tomcat to develop my Java web
applications. I'm using the JBoss plugin for eclipse. With this plugin
I manage quite nicely to debug my application, except for one thing.
I just can't get the debugger to let me inspect local variables in a
class method. Eclipse just gives me an evaluation error. It allows me
to inspect the globals the way I expect.
Has anyone experienced this problem before ? (and does anyone know how
to solve it? )

Cheers,

Xander

Sudsy 11-18-2003 03:42 PM

Re: Debugging local variables in JBoss/Tomcat using Eclipse

Ronald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently I'm using Eclipse / Jboss / Tomcat to develop my Java web
> applications. I'm using the JBoss plugin for eclipse. With this plugin
> I manage quite nicely to debug my application, except for one thing.
> I just can't get the debugger to let me inspect local variables in a
> class method. Eclipse just gives me an evaluation error. It allows me
> to inspect the globals the way I expect.

Based on what you've written you are trying to access either:
- class (static) method variables, or
- class (static) variables

For the first, when you "Step Into" the class method then the
variables should be displayed in the "Variables" window. For
the second case, right click on the upper pane of the "Expressions"
window and select "Add Java Watch Expression" from the pop-up
menu. Enter the expression in the form of ClassName.variableName.
For example, I've got a class called LoginAction (a Struts Action)
with a class variable called count. My expression becomes
LoginAction.count. The variable name MUST be qualified by the
class name.
BTW, These instructions work as advertised on Eclipse 2.1.2
running with JBoss 3.2.2.

HTH