Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Newbie Q, where is java.util? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t125843-re-newbie-q-where-is-java-util.html)

Emery Z. Balint Jr. 08-20-2003 06:48 PM

Re: Newbie Q, where is java.util?

In Java there is something called JavaDocs. You need to download (or view
online, whichever) that which is basically a Web site of all the classes in
Java. You can see all the fields, methods, etc that you can preform on that
class, such as java.util.Date. I believe this is the correct page:
http://java.sun.com/docs/ Can't really work well without that.

You should also have a file called src.zip in the directory where you
installed Java. Although something you'd normally never touch, it can be
interesting to unzip it and just peek through it. But for your purpose, you
need the JavaDocs.

Emery.
/\^/\^/\
Sun Certified Java Programmer
www.websamba.com/javarobotics/
E-stronomy - Astronomical Resources
www.websamba.com/e-stronomy/
Talking with Tonz - Dance/Alternative Music
www.soundclick.com/talkingwithtonz/

news:46cdc619.0308200949.740e9c82@posting.google.c om...

Mike 08-21-2003 02:01 AM

Re: Newbie Q, where is java.util?

> In Java there is something called JavaDocs. You need to download (or view
> online, whichever) that which is basically a Web site of all the classes in
> Java. You can see all the fields, methods, etc that you can preform on that
> class, such as java.util.Date. I believe this is the correct page:
> http://java.sun.com/docs/ Can't really work well without that.
>
> You should also have a file called src.zip in the directory where you
> installed Java. Although something you'd normally never touch, it can be
> interesting to unzip it and just peek through it. But for your purpose, you
> need the JavaDocs.

Thanks, all of you, I appreciate that. When I first started coding it,
I figured that there had to be a file somewhere on the hard drive
called java.util.whatever that was being included with the compile,
like it would be with Perl. In Perl, you can open the modules and read
all of their subroutines to find out what variables to use, etc.

I'm downloading the docs right now, so I'm sure I'll figure it out.
Thanks for the links!

Mike