Velocity Reviews

-   -   Mac OS 9 Java with Swing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t124516-mac-os-9-java-with-swing.html)

- 07-17-2003 03:18 PM

Mac OS 9 Java with Swing

Is there a package for the above both Apple's and Sun's websites are useless
and we've been searching for ages now. Can anyone give me a link? Or does it
not even exist?

Chris Mays 07-17-2003 04:08 PM

Re: Mac OS 9 Java with Swing

- wrote:

> Is there a package for the above both Apple's and Sun's websites are useless
> and we've been searching for ages now. Can anyone give me a link? Or does it
> not even exist?

I may be mistaken, but I thought that the only version of Java available for OS
9 was 1.1.8 and Swing was introduced with java 1.2. I know that the OS X version
of Java supports swing.

Joseph Millar 07-17-2003 05:32 PM

Re: Mac OS 9 Java with Swing

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:08:43 -0500, Chris Mays <cmays@uwsa.edu> wrote:
> I may be mistaken, but I thought that the only version of Java available for OS
> 9 was 1.1.8 and Swing was introduced with java 1.2. I know that the OS X version
> of Java supports swing.

JFC was first introduced as an extension pack for Java 1.1.x. When
Java 1.2 was release, JFC was part of the core classes. You can
still get the old JFC release ofor 1.1.7 and later JVM's (but it
is no longer supported):

http://java.sun.com/products/archive...1.1/index.html

I do not know about Apple compatibility. The JFC release is fairly
sensitive to the underlying AWT layer of the JVM, so use with care.

--Joe

Steve W. Jackson 07-17-2003 07:11 PM

Re: Mac OS 9 Java with Swing

In article <tjmdhv4aa42bvk0mie48venm3eql65dkf3@4ax.com>,
Joseph Millar <baric@deleteme.comcast.net> wrote:

:> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:08:43 -0500, Chris Mays <cmays@uwsa.edu> wrote:
:> > I may be mistaken, but I thought that the only version of Java available
:> > for OS
:> > 9 was 1.1.8 and Swing was introduced with java 1.2. I know that the OS X
:> > version
:> > of Java supports swing.
:>
:> JFC was first introduced as an extension pack for Java 1.1.x. When
:> Java 1.2 was release, JFC was part of the core classes. You can
:> still get the old JFC release ofor 1.1.7 and later JVM's (but it
:> is no longer supported):
:>
:> http://java.sun.com/products/archive...1.1/index.html
:>
:> I do not know about Apple compatibility. The JFC release is fairly
:> sensitive to the underlying AWT layer of the JVM, so use with care.
:>
:> --Joe

You can in fact get the swingall.jar file for Swing 1.1.1 and use it
with Apple's MRJ for rudimentary Swing functionality. I did it about
two and a half years ago when first learning Java. But now that I've
been doing Java full-time for nearly 3 years and switched to OS X, I no
longer work in that area at all.

= Steve =
--
Steve W. Jackson