Velocity Reviews

-   -   JavaService - need help (please!) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t123943-javaservice-need-help-please.html)

Edward E. Sandfort 07-01-2003 06:59 PM

JavaService - need help (please!)

This is making me nuts. Hopefully someone out there can get me pointed
in the right direction...

I'm playing with the program JavaService
http://www.alexandriasc.com/software...ice/index.html and trying
to install a simple java program as a service on a Windows 2000
machine. I install the service as follows:

JavaService -install TestServ C:\Program
Files\Java\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll -Djava.class.path=C:\h\eiapm.jar
-start mil.mcs.AutoPostServer

The class AutoPostServer, in package mil.mcs, does indeed exist, and has
a main class and all that. The class is definitely found in eiapm.jar.
The service installs without complaining, but when I try to start it up,
it fails. Viewing the event log give me the message:

"Could not find the service start class."

I've tried everything I can think of at this point, without success.
I'd appreciate any help I can get. If possible, please email your

Thanks in advance

Ed Sandfort

Wendy S 07-01-2003 07:49 PM

Re: JavaService - need help (please!)

"Edward E. Sandfort" <edward.e.sandfort@lmco.com> wrote
> JavaService -install TestServ C:\Program
> Files\Java\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll -Djava.class.path=C:\h\eiapm.jar
> -start mil.mcs.AutoPostServer
>
> The class AutoPostServer, in package mil.mcs, does indeed exist, and has
> a main class and all that. The class is definitely found in eiapm.jar.
> > The service installs without complaining, but when I try to start it up,
> > it fails. Viewing the event log give me the message:

How do you 'try to start it up'? Does THAT process have the correct
classpath set?

--
Wendy in Chandler, AZ

Wolfgang Kless 07-02-2003 06:41 AM

"Edward E. Sandfort" wrote:

> This is making me nuts. Hopefully someone out there can get me pointed
> in the right direction...
>
> I'm playing with the program JavaService
> http://www.alexandriasc.com/software...ice/index.html and trying
> to install a simple java program as a service on a Windows 2000
> machine. I install the service as follows:
>
> JavaService -install TestServ C:\Program
> Files\Java\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll -Djava.class.path=C:\h\eiapm.jar
> -start mil.mcs.AutoPostServer

Put quotation marks around the path to jvm.dll. The command line doesn't
like spaces in path names.

Bye, Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Kless
INA-Schaeffler KG, Industriestrasse 1-3

E Sandfort 07-03-2003 02:24 PM

Re: JavaService - need help (please!)

thanks for the responses.

Wendy - I am trying to start the process by finding it in the Windows
Services program (from Control Panel), choosing the service I
installed, and trying to start it from there.

Wolfgang - I do not believe that is the problem at all. I'm fairly
confident that JavaService is indeed loading the JVM I specify. If I
change my JVM path to something invalid, I will get an error message
when starting the service which indicates that the "Java Virtual
Machine could not be loaded". Since I am not getting this message, I
believe my problem is something else.

Any more ideas?

Thanks!

Ed Sandfort