Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: quickest way to a programming job (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t123939-re-quickest-way-to-a-programming-job.html)

Roedy Green 07-01-2003 05:42 PM

Re: quickest way to a programming job

On 27 Jun 2003 01:21:42 -0700, hi_buzz@hotmail.com (happyrav) wrote or
quoted :

>For those of you who work as programmers, what is your opinion of
>college education vs. self education?

I'm 55 now. It would be wonderful to have the money and time to go
back to school. I'm sure I would make much better use of every second
of my prof's time, and my own.

It is much harder later in life to pull this off, Do it now while you
can. Also keep this is mind. *YOU* are paying a bundle to learn as
much as you can. Don't do anything to interfere with that process.
Getting a degree is secondary.

It is very hard for someone fresh out of high school to appreciate
that as deeply as you need to get your full money's worth.

The problem is so you are so horny and so distracted by the exciting
things going on.

The most fun years of my life were my university years. Don't miss
out.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

happyrav 07-02-2003 12:57 AM

Re: quickest way to a programming job

I week into my new govt. tech support job they told me I could not
study AT ALL during the night shift. Today I requested a day shift so
I could study at night. As a result I was fired due to not having the
company as my first prioriy.
Now I am so fed up with corporate America. How much corporate bullshit
do you guys have to put up with to do work that you really like? And
do you really like it? Or do you just like the money?

brougham3@yahoo.com 07-02-2003 11:03 AM

Re: quickest way to a programming job

hi_buzz@hotmail.com (happyrav) wrote:

>I week into my new govt. tech support job they told me I could not
>study AT ALL during the night shift. Today I requested a day shift so
>I could study at night. As a result I was fired due to not having the
>company as my first prioriy.

Uhm...if it your first week on the job, there is probably job-related
information you could be learning instead of trying to get paid for
accomplishing your personal goals.

Sorry, but I'd have fired you, too. Now, if you had been there for a year
or so first, then you might have gotten a bit of slack.

DESANTIS77 07-02-2003 02:09 PM

Re: quickest way to a programming job

Right On! I hear what you are saying and I agree 100%. I'm 42 years old and now
I'm teaching myself Java. You learn so much more just sitting home with some
good books and the software to hack around with. Let's be honest, the only
reason that we even go to school is to get certified or credentialed by some
established institution. To learn any programming language all you need is the
necessary background such as C language, the software to practice with, some
good books to instruct you, a lot of time, and most important of all is
TENACITY. When it comes to anything in IT, either you can do it or you can't, I
really don't care how many degrees/certifications someone has. I've seen a lot
of paper tigers out there. Good Luck.