Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t123896-re-comparison-of-java-c-for-development-on-windows-and-future-for-them.html)

Mark Thornton 01-08-2003 09:54 AM

"Tim Ward" <tw2@ipaccess.com> wrote in message
> "Belinda" <belindacur@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:41af5e48.0301080128.802710f@posting.google.co m...
> >
> > But right now my only
> > development platform will be Windows. I am supposed to make this
> > decision for my company I am free to choose C# or Java.

> As long as you are sure you only need to target Windows:
>
> One issue is that Java apps look like Java apps, even with the Windows
> look-and-feel set. So if you want to build things that look like proper
> Windows GUI applications don't choose Java.

A growing number of 'Windows applications' written with other tools don't
look like standard Windows GUI applications either. It seems to be the done
thing for media players for example to be as different as possible from the
normal conventions. So whether the relatively minor deviations exhibited by
typical Java applications are important will depend on the target market. In
any case will the user notice or care that an app is different because it
was written in Java compared with countless other applications which are
different just because the author has a wierd sense of style.

Having said that I would like Swing applications to more closely match the
current Windows GUI standard ... if only we could tie down what it actually
is.

Mark Thornton

Simon Trew 01-08-2003 12:27 PM

"Mark Thornton" <m.p.thornton@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> A growing number of 'Windows applications' written with other tools don't
> look like standard Windows GUI applications either. It seems to be the

done
> thing for media players for example to be as different as possible from

the
> normal conventions. So whether the relatively minor deviations exhibited

by
> typical Java applications are important will depend on the target market.

In
> any case will the user notice or care that an app is different because it
> was written in Java compared with countless other applications which are
> different just because the author has a wierd sense of style.

How true. Why is it that Microsoft can never stick to their own UI
guidelines-- they call it "innovation" which I suppose it is, but if we try
it then we're told we're nonstandard! The MS Office nonmenu menus and
nonstandard open dialog spring to mind. And personally I would like my media
player to look like a normal window with normal buttons etc. thank you.

Frans Bouma 01-08-2003 01:09 PM

Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them

"Simon Trew" <strew@orange.net> wrote in

> "Mark Thornton" <m.p.thornton@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>
>> A growing number of 'Windows applications' written with other tools
>> don't look like standard Windows GUI applications either. It seems to
>> be the

> done
>> thing for media players for example to be as different as possible from

> the
>> normal conventions. So whether the relatively minor deviations
>> exhibited

> by
>> typical Java applications are important will depend on the target
>> market.

> In
>> any case will the user notice or care that an app is different because
>> it was written in Java compared with countless other applications which
>> are different just because the author has a wierd sense of style.
>>

> How true. Why is it that Microsoft can never stick to their own UI
> guidelines-- they call it "innovation" which I suppose it is, but if we
> try it then we're told we're nonstandard! The MS Office nonmenu menus
> and nonstandard open dialog spring to mind. And personally I would like
> my media player to look like a normal window with normal buttons etc.
> thank you.

Read "Proudly serving my corporate masters"
http://www.iuniverse.com/bookstore/b...sbn=0595161286
by Adam Barr and you'll know why :)

FB

--
======= You can't sell what's free ====================================
Senior Software Engineer @ Solutions Design : http://www.sd.nl

Chad Myers 01-08-2003 03:26 PM

"Simon Trew" <strew@orange.net> wrote in message
> [...]

<SNIP>

> How true. Why is it that Microsoft can never stick to their own UI
> guidelines-- they call it "innovation" which I suppose it is, but if

we try
> it then we're told we're nonstandard! The MS Office nonmenu menus and
> nonstandard open dialog spring to mind. And personally I would like my

media
> player to look like a normal window with normal buttons etc. thank

you.

There is a "Classic" skin to WMP8 and 9 that has "standard"
look-and-feel.

Personally, I like the OfficeXP look-and-feel of toolbars and drop-downs
and I'm glad many other apps are adopting it (like VS.NET, SmartFTP,
etc)

-c

Karsten Farrell 01-08-2003 05:06 PM

Mark Thornton wrote:

> A growing number of 'Windows applications' written with other tools don't
> look like standard Windows GUI applications either.
> Mark Thornton

For a while you could always tell when an app was written using Borland
tools because they had those characteristic OK and Cancel buttons.

Richard J Woodland 01-08-2003 07:45 PM

Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and futureforthem

'Characteristic' meaning nasty looking and ugly ;)