Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: GridBag Expansion OS X - PLEASE HELP!!! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t123832-re-gridbag-expansion-os-x-please-help.html)

Loki 06-29-2003 12:00 AM

Re: GridBag Expansion OS X - PLEASE HELP!!!

Randomn is preciesly what it sounds like.

I am only 16 an having worked with java for the few years that I have my
understanding is rather lax. However, I have seen this problem happen
with a program like the following example

class fred
{
public static void main(String[] args)
{
Frame eric = new Frame("I'm eric");
GridBagLayout GBL = new GridBagLayout();
GridBagConstraints GBC = new GridBagConstraints();
eric.setLayout(GBL);

/*
* Frame, gridbag simple
*/

List list = new List();

/*
* List smpl
*/

GBC.gridx = 0;
GBC.gridy = 0;
GBC.gridwidth = 1;
GBC.gridheight = 1;
eric.add(list, GBC);

/*
* Simplest GridBagConstraints implementation
*/

eric.pack();
eric.show();
}
}

As you can see that is a very simple application and it has been known
to "Randomly" do such things

Suggestions????

Thanx

Loki

\0/ - Eureka
0 |
/|\ / \
/ \

rbs 06-30-2003 02:10 AM

Re: GridBag Expansion OS X - PLEASE HELP!!!

In article <3EFE2C23.9040409@r-pl.co.uk>, Loki <james@r-pl.co.uk>
wrote:

> Suggestions????

Honestly?

Write your own layout manager.

I needed something with GridBagLayout's power but got so
frustrated with the seemingly random behavior of GBL itself
that I ended (a) using Google to search for a layout manager
that would accomplish what I wanted, (b) finding one that was
close but not quite what I needed, and then (c) eventually
using the "close" one as a model for writing my own.

Now if something odd happens in the layout I either know exactly
why or else can figure it out in less than 5 minutes.