Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: embedded database (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t123795-re-embedded-database.html)

hh 06-27-2003 10:56 PM

Re: embedded database

babak wrote:
> I've long had an itch for a pure java embedded database.
> Something like berkeley db, but in java.
>
> In principle, the java.nio packages in 1.4 seem to make
> writing such a library within reach. It seems to me if
> you got something like the berkeley db package, then a
> lot of higher level java database projects (e.g. smyle,
> axion, hypersonic) can start to scale.
>
> I'm not that interested in a relational or OO database:
> I just want a durable, industrial (read big files, say
> 2GB) library that can store and index byte records, with
> some minimal transactional support at reasonable speed
> (say half the speed of berkeley db).
>
> Not knowing better, I've started hacking away at it in
> my spare time. I have some ideas about how to pull it
> off (and hopefully make it interesting). I'd prefer to
> join an existing project, if you know one; otherwise,
> anyone interested in starting a new open source project?
>
> -babak.

Take a look at:
http://www.coyotegulch.com/jisp/index.html

Mike 06-28-2003 01:27 AM

Re: embedded database

In article <zY3La.35634$R73.3918@sccrnsc04>, hh wrote:
> babak wrote:
>> I've long had an itch for a pure java embedded database.
>> Something like berkeley db, but in java.
>>
>> In principle, the java.nio packages in 1.4 seem to make
>> writing such a library within reach. It seems to me if
>> you got something like the berkeley db package, then a
>> lot of higher level java database projects (e.g. smyle,
>> axion, hypersonic) can start to scale.
>>
>> I'm not that interested in a relational or OO database:
>> I just want a durable, industrial (read big files, say
>> 2GB) library that can store and index byte records, with
>> some minimal transactional support at reasonable speed
>> (say half the speed of berkeley db).
>>
>> Not knowing better, I've started hacking away at it in
>> my spare time. I have some ideas about how to pull it
>> off (and hopefully make it interesting). I'd prefer to
>> join an existing project, if you know one; otherwise,
>> anyone interested in starting a new open source project?
>>
>> -babak.

> Take a look at:
> http://www.coyotegulch.com/jisp/index.html

I like that I can use the jigsaw outside if jdbm. For
writing j2me (personal java) that don't have any sort
of record manager on the device I want to also use
jdbm there. However jdbm requires some of the file
classes that are not universally available within
j2me. I don't have the error posting just now (stupid
me) from javac to show what's missing. Has anyone
worked through this or have another idea for an
embedded data (flatfile) manager for j2me?

Mike