Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Living in a RAM-rich World (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t123751-re-living-in-a-ram-rich-world.html)

Tim Tyler 06-27-2003 11:50 AM

Re: Living in a RAM-rich World

Jon A. Cruz <jon@joncruz.org> wrote:
: Sudsy wrote:

[Eclipse]

:> I still don't see why so many are fawning over it: I achieve
:> greater productivity using vi in an xterm [...]

: Debugging and Refactoring.

: Either one of those is where Eclipse can really help productivity.

Of those, refactoring is the big one for me.

The other things that I find are really a big deal are the
incremental compiler, error reporting system and quick fixes.

Having Eclipse compile your code as you type it in, highlight the
problems by underlining them in red, and offer to fix them for you
really helps - and having a compiler that is pretty quick (most
of the time) - and /really/ understands when your project is in a
consistent state is useful too.

: I do use it, although I still switch to Emacs+JDEE for heavy editing.

Understandable - Eclipse's editor is still in the stone age.

Perhaps http://www.slickedit.com/products/pr_eclipse_plugin.php
is one way of dealing with that.
--
__________

Jon A. Cruz 06-27-2003 03:06 PM

Re: Living in a RAM-rich World

Tim Tyler wrote:
> Jon A. Cruz <jon@joncruz.org> wrote:
> : Sudsy wrote:
>
> [Eclipse]
>
> :> I still don't see why so many are fawning over it: I achieve
> :> greater productivity using vi in an xterm [...]
>
> : Debugging and Refactoring.
>
> : Either one of those is where Eclipse can really help productivity.
>
> Of those, refactoring is the big one for me.
>
> The other things that I find are really a big deal are the
> incremental compiler, error reporting system and quick fixes.

Oh. I forgot the other nice thing.

For some uses, it's very nice that Eclipse can compile whatever is
around in a compilable state, and does not need everything to have no
errors. For example, if you have some code that uses a library that you
don't have, Eclipse can still compilie most of the Java you do have,
except for the lines that reference that missing source.

David Zimmerman 06-27-2003 03:11 PM

Re: Living in a RAM-rich World

Jon A. Cruz wrote:
> Tim Tyler wrote:
>
>> Jon A. Cruz <jon@joncruz.org> wrote:
>> : Sudsy wrote:
>>
>> [Eclipse]
>>
>> :> I still don't see why so many are fawning over it: I achieve
>> :> greater productivity using vi in an xterm [...]
>>
>> : Debugging and Refactoring.
>>
>> : Either one of those is where Eclipse can really help productivity.
>>
>> Of those, refactoring is the big one for me.
>>
>> The other things that I find are really a big deal are the
>> incremental compiler, error reporting system and quick fixes.
>>

> Oh. I forgot the other nice thing.
>
> For some uses, it's very nice that Eclipse can compile whatever is
> around in a compilable state, and does not need everything to have no
> errors. For example, if you have some code that uses a library that you
> don't have, Eclipse can still compilie most of the Java you do have,
> except for the lines that reference that missing source.

But everytime you save anything, you get to see all those error messages
over and over again. I want to save now because I made lots of changes,
not becuase I'm ready to try compiling.

Jon Skeet 06-27-2003 04:06 PM

Re: Living in a RAM-rich World

David Zimmerman <dzimm@hiddenmind.com> wrote:
> > For some uses, it's very nice that Eclipse can compile whatever is
> > around in a compilable state, and does not need everything to have no
> > errors. For example, if you have some code that uses a library that you
> > don't have, Eclipse can still compilie most of the Java you do have,
> > except for the lines that reference that missing source.

> But everytime you save anything, you get to see all those error messages
> over and over again. I want to save now because I made lots of changes,
> not becuase I'm ready to try compiling.

So turn off automatic build on modification, if you want. Personally, I
don't mind keeping seeing the error messages while I'm still coding,
and automatic building saves me time and hassle...

--
Jon Skeet - <skeet@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/