Velocity Reviews

-   -   Why does Tbird spell checker not know the word "Mozilla?" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t12074-why-does-tbird-spell-checker-not-know-the-word-mozilla.html)

default 10-19-2005 01:52 PM

Why does Tbird spell checker not know the word "Mozilla?"

Inquiring minds want to know.

And whilst here - I encountered a problem with Tbird that may be a
bug. Anyone else see this:

If I paste a paragraph into a composition window, then start adding my
own comments, the line width goes on forever and I have to remember to
use "Return" to limit the line length.

The email is limited to 72 characters when received - just not in the
composition window (only) when a paragraph has been pasted there.

Tbird Version 1.5 Beta 2 (20051006)

Hendrik Maryns 10-19-2005 02:20 PM

Re: Why does Tbird spell checker not know the word "Mozilla?"

default schreef:
> Inquiring minds want to know.

That depends on what language you are using. The spell checking
dictionary is not developed by mozilla itself, but is taken from
elsewhere. I suppose the people that gathered that dictionary didn't
consider `Mozilla' to be a general English (or whatever other language,
but probably English, otherwise you would have downloaded the dictionary
yourself) word, and rightly so.

> And whilst here - I encountered a problem with Tbird that may be a
> bug. Anyone else see this:
>
> If I paste a paragraph into a composition window, then start adding my
> own comments, the line width goes on forever and I have to remember to
> use "Return" to limit the line length.
>
> The email is limited to 72 characters when received - just not in the
> composition window (only) when a paragraph has been pasted there.
>
> Tbird Version 1.5 Beta 2 (20051006)

File a bug report: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

Cheers, H.

--
Hendrik Maryns

==================
www.lieverleven.be
http://aouw.org

Leonidas Jones 10-19-2005 02:26 PM

default wrote:
> Inquiring minds want to know.
>
> And whilst here - I encountered a problem with Tbird that may be a
> bug. Anyone else see this:
>
> If I paste a paragraph into a composition window, then start adding my
> own comments, the line width goes on forever and I have to remember to
> use "Return" to limit the line length.
>
> The email is limited to 72 characters when received - just not in the
> composition window (only) when a paragraph has been pasted there.
>
> Tbird Version 1.5 Beta 2 (20051006)

Thunderbird uses the spell checker for OpenOffice.org. You can always
add the word Mozilla to your personal dictionary.

As to the other problem, does this happen when composing in html, plain
text or both? What is the source of the copy/pasted material, word
processor, web page, another email message?

Lee

default 10-19-2005 03:49 PM

Re: Why does Tbird spell checker not know the word "Mozilla?"

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:26:51 GMT, Leonidas Jones <Cap1MD@att.net>
wrote:

>default wrote:
>> Inquiring minds want to know.
>>
>> And whilst here - I encountered a problem with Tbird that may be a
>> bug. Anyone else see this:
>>
>> If I paste a paragraph into a composition window, then start adding my
>> own comments, the line width goes on forever and I have to remember to
>> use "Return" to limit the line length.
>>
>> The email is limited to 72 characters when received - just not in the
>> composition window (only) when a paragraph has been pasted there.
>>
>> Tbird Version 1.5 Beta 2 (20051006)

>Thunderbird uses the spell checker for OpenOffice.org. You can always
>add the word Mozilla to your personal dictionary.
>
>As to the other problem, does this happen when composing in html, plain
>text or both? What is the source of the copy/pasted material, word
>processor, web page, another email message?
>
>Lee

Composition is HTML, source is copy pasted from an email from a web
based email program: "movemail." Pasted text is limited to the same
length as the pasted message - doesn't run off the page - just what I
add in subsequent lines.

I haven't taken the time to try various combinations to see what all
the symptoms are. It is rare that I have to copy/paste so it isn't a
big deal. I was wondering if I'm missing something obvious.

gwtc 10-19-2005 06:11 PM

Hendrik Maryns wrote:

> default schreef:
>
>> Inquiring minds want to know.

> That depends on what language you are using. The spell checking
> dictionary is not developed by mozilla itself, but is taken from
> elsewhere. I suppose the people that gathered that dictionary didn't
> consider `Mozilla' to be a general English (or whatever other language,
> but probably English, otherwise you would have downloaded the dictionary
> yourself) word, and rightly so.

Also, the dictionaries themselves are very old. Since it comes from
OpenOffice, when was the last time they updated their dictionaries.

Leonidas Jones 10-20-2005 04:02 PM

default wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:26:51 GMT, Leonidas Jones <Cap1MD@att.net>
> wrote:
>
>> default wrote:
>>> Inquiring minds want to know.
>>>
>>> And whilst here - I encountered a problem with Tbird that may be a
>>> bug. Anyone else see this:
>>>
>>> If I paste a paragraph into a composition window, then start adding my
>>> own comments, the line width goes on forever and I have to remember to
>>> use "Return" to limit the line length.
>>>
>>> The email is limited to 72 characters when received - just not in the
>>> composition window (only) when a paragraph has been pasted there.
>>>
>>> Tbird Version 1.5 Beta 2 (20051006)

>> Thunderbird uses the spell checker for OpenOffice.org. You can always
>> add the word Mozilla to your personal dictionary.
>>
>> As to the other problem, does this happen when composing in html, plain
>> text or both? What is the source of the copy/pasted material, word
>> processor, web page, another email message?
>>
>> Lee

> Composition is HTML, source is copy pasted from an email from a web
> based email program: "movemail." Pasted text is limited to the same
> length as the pasted message - doesn't run off the page - just what I
> add in subsequent lines.
>
> I haven't taken the time to try various combinations to see what all
> the symptoms are. It is rare that I have to copy/paste so it isn't a
> big deal. I was wondering if I'm missing something obvious.

I need to do some experimenting to try to duplicate this problemm, and
just no time to do it now, maybe on the weekend.

Lee

Old Gringo 10-21-2005 03:04 AM

Re: Why does Tbird spell checker not know the word "Mozilla?"

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:52:47 -0400, in the alt.fan.mozilla News
Group, Without Any Hesitation default Wrote The Following:

> Inquiring minds want to know.
>
> And whilst here - I encountered a problem with Tbird that may be a
> bug. Anyone else see this:
>
> If I paste a paragraph into a composition window, then start adding my
> own comments, the line width goes on forever and I have to remember to
> use "Return" to limit the line length.
>
> The email is limited to 72 characters when received - just not in the
> composition window (only) when a paragraph has been pasted there.
>
> Tbird Version 1.5 Beta 2 (20051006)

Mozilla, is a name, a proper noun. I'll let you take it from there.
--
Old Gringo
The Future Is Not What It Use To Be

default 10-21-2005 03:09 PM

Re: Why does Tbird spell checker not know the word "Mozilla?"

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:02:05 GMT, Leonidas Jones <Cap1MD@att.net>
wrote:

>I need to do some experimenting to try to duplicate this problemm, and
>just no time to do it now, maybe on the weekend.

Don't go to any trouble on my account. I only use it when replying
from my web based email on my ISP's email account.

Leonidas Jones 10-21-2005 04:22 PM

default wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:02:05 GMT, Leonidas Jones <Cap1MD@att.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I need to do some experimenting to try to duplicate this problemm, and
>> just no time to do it now, maybe on the weekend.

> Don't go to any trouble on my account. I only use it when replying
> from my web based email on my ISP's email account.

Okay then, I just didn't want you to feel like i was ignoring you.

Lee