Velocity Reviews

-   -   silly question - what is" Firefox 1.6 alpha 1" ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t11877-silly-question-what-is-firefox-1-6-alpha-1-a.html)

false-name@false-account.net 09-14-2005 12:13 AM

silly question - what is" Firefox 1.6 alpha 1" ?

okay, I'm confused :)

I know that the 1.5 beta versions are also known as 1.4
so what is "Firefox 1.6 alpha 1" which has appeared ?

is it an alpha for what will *eventually* become "Firefox 2" ?
( for large values of "eventually" ;) )
or is this something else ?

thanks :)

GWTC 09-14-2005 07:03 AM

Re: silly question - what is" Firefox 1.6 alpha 1" ?

false-name@false-account.net wrote:

> okay, I'm confused :)
>
> I know that the 1.5 beta versions are also known as 1.4
> so what is "Firefox 1.6 alpha 1" which has appeared ?
>
> is it an alpha for what will *eventually* become "Firefox 2" ?
> ( for large values of "eventually" ;) )
> or is this something else ?
>
> thanks :)

And where are you finding Firefox 1.6 alpha 1?

Jedi Fans 09-14-2005 07:20 AM

GWTC wrote:
> false-name@false-account.net wrote:
>
>> okay, I'm confused :)
>>
>> I know that the 1.5 beta versions are also known as 1.4
>> so what is "Firefox 1.6 alpha 1" which has appeared ?
>>
>> is it an alpha for what will *eventually* become "Firefox 2" ?
>> ( for large values of "eventually" ;) )
>> or is this something else ?
>>
>> thanks :)

> And where are you finding Firefox 1.6 alpha 1?

its a nightly basically
Ok, Firefox 1.5 being in Beta status means it is "locked down",
therefore any new additions to the code for Firefox wont be accepted
into 1.5, 1.5 is just having bugs squashed before the final release in
essence, so 1.6 alpha 1 is the firefox version *after* 1.5
I may be wrong on this but this is my understanding of it ;)

--
Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
The Force Is With Me, SuSE Linux Professional 9.3, Mozilla Firefox

JamesMZ 09-17-2005 06:49 AM

Jedi Fans wrote:
> GWTC wrote:
> > false-name@false-account.net wrote:
> >
> >> okay, I'm confused :)
> >>
> >> I know that the 1.5 beta versions are also known as 1.4
> >> so what is "Firefox 1.6 alpha 1" which has appeared ?
> >>
> >> is it an alpha for what will *eventually* become "Firefox 2" ?
> >> ( for large values of "eventually" ;) )
> >> or is this something else ?
> >>
> >> thanks :)

> > And where are you finding Firefox 1.6 alpha 1?

> its a nightly basically
> Ok, Firefox 1.5 being in Beta status means it is "locked down",
> therefore any new additions to the code for Firefox wont be accepted
> into 1.5, 1.5 is just having bugs squashed before the final release in
> essence, so 1.6 alpha 1 is the firefox version *after* 1.5
> I may be wrong on this but this is my understanding of it ;)

The current Firefox/1.4 builds is the Branch nightlies, which will be
Firefox 1.5 soon enough. The Firefox/1.6a1 is the Trunk nightlies which
will lead to Firefox 2.0 a long time down the road. The Trunk nightlies
may be more unstable as checkins are often on the Trunk first and if it
works ok,(safe enough) then it may get checked on the Branch.

Tree is OPEN to approved checkins. All checkins to this branch require
approval from drivers http://tinderbox.mozilla.org/Mozilla1.8/ as they
want to keeep stability.

The basics of where the Branch and Trunk builds can be found, if you
want to try any, just don't share the same profile between the 1.0.x
and branch and trunk builds or will have problems.

Branch (1.4)
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.or...st-mozilla1.8/
(<-yes this is Firefox)

Trunk(1.6a1)
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.or.../latest-trunk/

Q. What is the trunk?
A. The trunk is the central source code that is used for continuous and
ongoing development. Trunk builds contain the very latest bleeding-edge
changes and updates. However, the trunk can also be very unstable at
times, so it's good to ask around before using trunk builds.

Q. What is a branch?
A. Branches are "forks" in the code, split from the trunk and destined
to become end-user releases. At conception, a branch contains
everything that the trunk contains, but from that point onwards, only
certain fixes or changes will be accepted. Therefore, over time, the
branch becomes more stable.