Velocity Reviews

-   -   Importing OE address book from nonstandard location (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t11827-importing-oe-address-book-from-nonstandard-location.html)

Z 09-02-2005 09:21 AM

Importing OE address book from nonstandard location

I have an old Windows 98 system I'm rebuilding ... the old system disk
cannot be booted but it is mounted as a 2nd disk on the newly rebuilt
system ... I see the old Address Book from OE on that old drive (now
mounted as F:).

I've installed TB 1.0.6 on the new system and want to import the Address
Book and e-mail but when I try to import the Address Book into TB 1.0.6
(I've tried both Tools > Import... and Address Book > Tools Import...),
TB never asks me for the directory, it just seems to search in some
expected places and then reports that nothing was imported.

Is there any way to point TB to the old Address Book at
F:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\Default.wab and have
it load the data?

Doug G 09-02-2005 12:14 PM

Re: Importing OE address book from nonstandard location

Z wrote:
> I have an old Windows 98 system I'm rebuilding ... the old system disk
> cannot be booted but it is mounted as a 2nd disk on the newly rebuilt
> system ... I see the old Address Book from OE on that old drive (now
> mounted as F:).
>
> I've installed TB 1.0.6 on the new system and want to import the Address
> Book and e-mail but when I try to import the Address Book into TB 1.0.6
> (I've tried both Tools > Import... and Address Book > Tools Import...),
> TB never asks me for the directory, it just seems to search in some
> expected places and then reports that nothing was imported.
>
> Is there any way to point TB to the old Address Book at
> F:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\Default.wab and have
> it load the data?

Try using Dawn to convert the file to an LDIF file and then importing
the LDIF file.

http://www.joshie.com/projects/dawn/

Ralph Fox 09-02-2005 12:39 PM

Re: Importing OE address book from nonstandard location

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 02:21:10 -0700, in message
*<aQURe.22560$1g2.18118@fe05.lga>, Z wrote:

> I have an old Windows 98 system I'm rebuilding ... the old system disk
> cannot be booted but it is mounted as a 2nd disk on the newly rebuilt
> system ... I see the old Address Book from OE on that old drive (now
> mounted as F:).
>
> I've installed TB 1.0.6 on the new system and want to import the Address
> Book and e-mail but when I try to import the Address Book into TB 1.0.6
> (I've tried both Tools > Import... and Address Book > Tools Import...),
> TB never asks me for the directory, it just seems to search in some
> expected places and then reports that nothing was imported.
>
> Is there any way to point TB to the old Address Book at
> F:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\Default.wab and have
> it load the data?

Try "Dawn", a free address book converter.
http://www.joshie.com/projects/dawn/

AFAIK TB uses Outlook Express APIs to read the OE address book.
This requires OE to be installed, and imports the address book
only from the installed Outlook Express.
AFAIK TB cannot read .wab files directly.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Z 09-03-2005 04:22 PM

Doug G wrote:
> Z wrote:
>
>> I have an old Windows 98 system I'm rebuilding ... the old system disk
>> cannot be booted but it is mounted as a 2nd disk on the newly rebuilt
>> system ... I see the old Address Book from OE on that old drive (now
>> mounted as F:).
>>
>> I've installed TB 1.0.6 on the new system and want to import the
>> Address Book and e-mail but when I try to import the Address Book into
>> TB 1.0.6 (I've tried both Tools > Import... and Address Book > Tools
>> Import...), TB never asks me for the directory, it just seems to
>> search in some expected places and then reports that nothing was
>> imported.
>>
>> Is there any way to point TB to the old Address Book at
>> F:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\Default.wab and
>> have it load the data?

> Try using Dawn to convert the file to an LDIF file and then importing
> the LDIF file.
>
> http://www.joshie.com/projects/dawn/

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll tuck that away for next time. It sounds
easier than what I ended up doing:

I copied the .wab to a running system, started OE just to get the .wab
loaded and dumped it to a .csv. Then I used TB to read the .csv. A lot
of work. Especially getting all the fields in the OE .csv to match those
in the TB .csv.