Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to send output to browser and stop execution of events occuring after load (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t117884-how-to-send-output-to-browser-and-stop-execution-of-events-occuring-after-load.html)

TS 01-20-2006 06:54 PM

How to send output to browser and stop execution of events occuring after load

when i try to do a response.flush and .end, the screen ends up blank. I want
all page processing to quit when a check in the pageload event fails. Since
control events occur after load, how do i keep those from firing while still
displaying the rest of the html on the page?

KJ 01-20-2006 07:21 PM

Re: How to send output to browser and stop execution of events occuring after load

To accomplish this, override RenderChildren() in the Page, and only
call base.RenderChildren() when you want the other controls to load
(when your check does not fail).

Also, if the controls you mention are web user controls (ascx), you can
override Render() and only call base.Render() in a similar manner.

Steven Cheng[MSFT] 01-23-2006 06:46 AM

Re: How to send output to browser and stop execution of events occuring after load

Hi TS,

Regarding on the problem you mentioned, it is limited by the ASP.NET page's
serverside processing model, the page object will pass a series of events
to complete its serverside processing, and the rendering is the last step.
though we can provide a funciton to manually call class's Render method ,
but that's not recommended and is not guaranteed to work since there may
have some status not set correctly before the normal Render events
happen.... So I think the recommended means is as below:

Define a property or field in your page class to mark the flag of success
or failure, we can set that flag in page's load or init function .....

For our postback event handlers, we encapsulate the event handler's code
into a separate function and call that function only when the flag match
the expected value ....... This can prevent us from violating the ASP.NET
page's natural model...

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support