Velocity Reviews

-   -   Best approach for implementing a "Processing" graphic/message? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t117794-best-approach-for-implementing-a-processing-graphic-message.html)

Rob R. Ainscough 01-19-2006 08:25 PM

Best approach for implementing a "Processing" graphic/message?

For ASP.NET 2.0 (or 1.1) what is the best approach to implementing a
processing message or graphic while my task is working away?

Thanks, Rob.

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?= 01-19-2006 09:19 PM

RE: Best approach for implementing a "Processing" graphic/message?

Rob,
There are probably a couple of dozen ways to do this. Here is an article I
put together with one approach that I like:

Peter
http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgQy4gT3Jy?= 01-19-2006 09:21 PM

RE: Best approach for implementing a "Processing" graphic/message?

This is the simplest solution I've seen:
http://www.aspnetpro.com/NewsletterA...200308bm_l.asp

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr

Rob R. Ainscough 01-20-2006 06:22 PM

Re: Best approach for implementing a "Processing" graphic/message?

Peter & Steve, thank you for the links.

I'm using ASP NET 2.0 now, is this approach still the best method? Also,
not sure how my page that is doing the long running task can notify the
progress page that it is done -- the progress pages seems to be hard coded
to a set time -- did I miss something?

Thanks, Rob.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD] 01-21-2006 12:34 AM

Re: Best approach for implementing a "Processing" graphic/message?

True, that technique uses a fake progress bar that doesn't give a real
progress but keeps the user entertained while waiting.
For real progress you'll probably want to use ASP.NET 2.0 callbacks (AJAX).
Or you could use this control which does that (very well) for you:
http://dotnet.dart.com/PowerWEB_Live...eProgress.aspx

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP