Velocity Reviews

-   -   Redirection Limit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t11621-redirection-limit.html)

John 07-27-2005 01:04 AM

Redirection Limit

After installing 1.05 I began getting a popup window that reads "Redirection
limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page. This may
be caused by cookies that are blocked." I have now upgraded to 1.06 and am
still get the popup window when trying to load some webpages.

I have changed cookie settings with no results. Any ideas would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Ralph Fox 07-27-2005 08:57 AM

Re: Redirection Limit

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:04:35 -0500, in message
*<404ee$42e6bbe3$944002db$12269@STARBAND.NET>, John wrote:

> After installing 1.05 I began getting a popup window that reads "Redirection
> limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page. This may
> be caused by cookies that are blocked."

The error is associated with "this URL", whichever that is.
What is the URL?

> I have now upgraded to 1.06 and am
> still get the popup window when trying to load some webpages.

What are the URLs of these web pages?

> I have changed cookie settings with no results.

Cookies will only affect it if the server bases its decision on
where (and whether) to redirect in #3 and #5 below, on the cookies
which the browser has. Sometimes servers do, often they don't.

> Any ideas would be
> appreciated.

You should already know that a web server can redirect some pages
so the browser goes to a different page. For example, if you go
to http://www.xtra.co.nz/ the web server will redirect you to go
to http://xtramsn.co.nz/home/

My guess is that you get a "redirection limit exceeded"
because of a fault with how the web site is set up.

1. You select a URL http://server/page

2. Your browser asks the server to return the web page for this URL.

3. Server responds that the page has moved, and redirects
your browser to a different URL.

4. Your browser asks the (same/new) server to return the web page
for this (new) URL.

5. Server responds that the page has moved, and redirects
your browser to a different URL.

6. etc. etc. etc. potentially forever.

7. To avoid being stuck in an infinite redirection loop,
each browser has a limit on the number of times it can
be redirected for any one page.

If this limit is reached, different browsers will report
this website fault differently.
• Some browsers will say "redirection limit exceeded".
• Some browsers will show a page with a message
like "302 Found" on it, similar to (but not the same as)
the "404 Not found" page.

If you want an accurate answer, rather than a best guess, you'll
need to post the URL(s) of the page(s) so we can look at it (them).

--
Cheers,
Ralph

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ns.html#before

John 07-28-2005 01:34 AM

Re: Redirection Limit

The most annoying redirection popup window is coming from eBay. When I try
and go to "My Ebay" after logging on to eBay the window is displayed. If I
go to any other eBay page first, instead of "My Ebay" then I don't get the
popup. I can then go to "My Ebay" from whatever eBay page and I don't get
the popup and "My Ebay" loads normally. It is only when I go to "My Ebay"
first after logging on to eBay.

"Ralph Fox" <ralphfralphf@xtraxtra.coco.nznz.undo-echo.invalid> wrote in
message news:dbiee15r6vrdpj1jkaktqfu47aj3ganlec@news.clear .net.nz...

Charani 07-28-2005 08:51 AM

Re: Redirection Limit

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:04:35 -0500, John wrote:

> After installing 1.05 I began getting a popup window that reads "Redirection
> limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page. This may
> be caused by cookies that are blocked." I have now upgraded to 1.06 and am
> still get the popup window when trying to load some webpages.

I had the same thing happen this morning when I clicked on the Tall
Ships Race 2005 link from a BBC news page
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/4722301.stm), however, when I
clicked on the Sail Training International link (which did work) I was
able to get to the 2005 Race page with no problems. I presumed that
the site had had too many hits

Ralph Fox 07-28-2005 10:47 AM

Re: Redirection Limit

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:34:20 -0500, in message
*<7147f$42e8145d$944002db$28932@STARBAND.NET>, John wrote:

> "Ralph Fox" <ralphfralphf@xtraxtra.coco.nznz.undo-echo.invalid> wrote in
> message news:dbiee15r6vrdpj1jkaktqfu47aj3ganlec@news.clear .net.nz...

--snip--

> > My guess is that you get a "redirection limit exceeded"
> > because of a fault with how the web site is set up.
> >
> > 1. You select a URL http://server/page
> >
> > 2. Your browser asks the server to return the web page for this URL.
> >
> > 3. Server responds that the page has moved, and redirects
> > your browser to a different URL.
> >
> > 4. Your browser asks the (same/new) server to return the web page
> > for this (new) URL.
> >
> > 5. Server responds that the page has moved, and redirects
> > your browser to a different URL.
> >
> > 6. etc. etc. etc. potentially forever.
> >
> > 7. To avoid being stuck in an infinite redirection loop,
> > each browser has a limit on the number of times it can
> > be redirected for any one page.
> >
> > If this limit is reached, different browsers will report
> > this website fault differently.
> > . Some browsers will say "redirection limit exceeded".
> > . Some browsers will show a page with a message
> > like "302 Found" on it, similar to (but not the same as)
> > the "404 Not found" page.
> >

> > If you want an accurate answer, rather than a best guess, you'll
> > need to post the URL(s) of the page(s) so we can look at it (them).

> The most annoying redirection popup window is coming from eBay. When I try
> and go to "My Ebay" after logging on to eBay the window is displayed.

I don't have an eBay account (TradeMe is far more popular
here), so I can't check this out. Maybe someone else, with
an eBay login, will do so for you.

> If I
> go to any other eBay page first, instead of "My Ebay" then I don't get the
> popup. I can then go to "My Ebay" from whatever eBay page and I don't get
> the popup and "My Ebay" loads normally. It is only when I go to "My Ebay"
> first after logging on to eBay.

Can you give any other, publicly accessible, URLs which
show this problem?

One other thought: maybe the server bases its decision on
where (and whether) to redirect in #3 and #5 above, on which
browser it sees you are using. If so, you may be able to
fool the server into thinking you are using a different
browser, by using the "User Agent Switcher" extension for
Firefox.