Velocity Reviews

-   -   Custom membership provider problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t115688-custom-membership-provider-problem.html)

John 12-17-2005 03:04 AM

Custom membership provider problem

Hi

I was working fine with create user wizard and the default membership
provider. I have now customised the membership provider as per attached
web.config. The create user wizard picks up the custom membership provider
fine and removes the security question/answer fields as designated in the
custom provider.

The problem is that when I try to create a new user in the create user
wizard by entering the info and pressing the 'create user' button, I get the
below error.

What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it? I created the aspnetdb db using
the aspnet_regsql.exe tool.

Thanks

Regards

Server Error in '/Events' Application.

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When
connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that
under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
(provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 25 - Connection string is not
valid)

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred
while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL
Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default
settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL
Network Interfaces, error: 25 - Connection string is not valid)

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): An error has occurred while establishing a
connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure
may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does
not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 25 -
Connection string is not valid)]
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnErro r(SqlException
exception, Boolean breakConnection) +734979
System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndW arning(TdsParserStateObject
stateObj) +188
System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean& useFailoverPartner,
Boolean& failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner, String
protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean
encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection
owningObject, Boolean aliasLookup) +820
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.Ope nLoginEnlist(SqlConnection
owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword,
Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +628
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ct or(DbConnectionPoolIdentity
identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String
newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
+170
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateC onnection(DbConnectionOptions
options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection
owningConnection) +130
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.Creat ePooledConnection(DbConnection
owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +28
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateOb ject(DbConnection
owningObject) +424
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCrea teRequest(DbConnection
owningObject) +66
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConne ction(DbConnection
owningObject) +496
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetCo nnection(DbConnection
owningConnection) +82
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenCo nnection(DbConnection
outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111
System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHolder.Open(Htt pContext context,
Boolean revertImpersonate) +84
System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.GetConne ction(String
connectionString, Boolean revertImpersonation) +197
System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CreateUs er(String username,
String password, String email, String passwordQuestion, String
passwordAnswer, Boolean isApproved, Object providerUserKey,
MembershipCreateStatus& status) +3612
System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.Attempt CreateUser() +305
System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.OnNextB uttonClick(WizardNavigationEventArgs
e) +105
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Wizard.OnBubbleEvent(Obj ect source, EventArgs
e) +453
System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.OnBubbl eEvent(Object source,
EventArgs e) +149
System.Web.UI.WebControls.WizardChildTable.OnBubbl eEvent(Object source,
EventArgs args) +17
System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +35
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(Command EventArgs e) +115
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEven t(String eventArgument)
+163
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String
eventArgument) +7
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData) +33
includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5102

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
Version:2.0.50727.42

mablejune@otismukinfus.com 12-17-2005 04:17 AM

Re: Custom membership provider problem

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 03:04:17 -0000, "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk>
wrote:

SQL server 2005 does not install with the TCP/IP protocol turned on.
You must turn it on to cure this problem.

John 12-17-2005 11:24 AM

Re: Custom membership provider problem

Sorry forgot to mention, did that already using the surface configuration
tool. Everything was working fine until I switched to the custom membership
provider as I did not need the security question/answer fields in the create
user wizard and someone said I should switch to custom membership provider.

Thanks

Regards

stribbed 06-21-2007 02:04 AM

Did anyone find a solution

Hi,

I have a similar issue to the above. However I am using SQL Server 2000. I ahve recently customised my membership provider to allow one profile field and to add user roles.

Now I receive the error: