Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can TB users remove words from the dictionary? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t11399-can-tb-users-remove-words-from-the-dictionary.html)

Z 06-18-2005 03:37 PM

Can TB users remove words from the dictionary?

Is it possible to remove some of the words that come included in the TB
dictionary? (TB 1.0.2, Win XP Pro)

Z 06-21-2005 06:42 PM

Re: Can TB users remove words from the dictionary?

Z wrote:
> Is it possible to remove some of the words that come included in the TB
> dictionary? (TB 1.0.2, Win XP Pro)

So, I guess the answer is no?

John Thompson 06-21-2005 09:05 PM

On 2005-06-21, Z <Z@no.spam> wrote:
> Z wrote:
>> Is it possible to remove some of the words that come included in the TB
>> dictionary? (TB 1.0.2, Win XP Pro)

> So, I guess the answer is no?

Not easily, apparently.

--

John (john@os2.dhs.org)

Adrian 06-26-2005 10:41 AM

John Thompson wrote:

> On 2005-06-21, Z <Z@no.spam> wrote:
>
>>Z wrote:
>>
>>>Is it possible to remove some of the words that come included in the TB
>>>dictionary? (TB 1.0.2, Win XP Pro)

>>So, I guess the answer is no?

> Not easily, apparently.

Okay, I don't use TB so I didn't answer.
But you could try this; open a find box from the start menu.
In the "named" field put *.dic
Make sure the look in box says "my computer".
Hit find now.
A list of all the dictionarys should come up.
Look for the one that is in the Mozilla folder.
Click on this file.
It will tell you it's too big for note pad and ask if it's okay to use
word pad. Click OK.
Edit the dictionary.
Save and exit.

Two things though.
This will all be a bit different in XP but near enough.
I don't know if TB has a custom dictionary or what it is called.
If it does, you will have to find that one.
If it's anything like seamonkey it will have,
and it will be stored in the same folder as your profile data.
If so this is the one to edit if you added the word in the first place.
I don't know what it is called, but it should be easy to find and edit.

-Adrian

Doug G 06-26-2005 11:14 AM

Adrian wrote:
> John Thompson wrote:

>>>So, I guess the answer is no?

>> Not easily, apparently.
>>

> Okay, I don't use TB so I didn't answer.
> But you could try this; open a find box from the start menu.
> In the "named" field put *.dic
> Make sure the look in box says "my computer".
> Hit find now.
> A list of all the dictionarys should come up.
> Look for the one that is in the Mozilla folder.
> Click on this file.
> It will tell you it's too big for note pad and ask if it's okay to use
> word pad. Click OK.
> Edit the dictionary.
> Save and exit.
>
> Two things though.
> This will all be a bit different in XP but near enough.
> I don't know if TB has a custom dictionary or what it is called.
> If it does, you will have to find that one.
> If it's anything like seamonkey it will have,
> and it will be stored in the same folder as your profile data.
> If so this is the one to edit if you added the word in the first place.
> I don't know what it is called, but it should be easy to find and edit.
>
> -Adrian

Thunderbird's personal dictionary file is named persdict.dat and can be
edited via the Check Spelling window.

Z 06-27-2005 12:50 AM

Doug G wrote:

> Thunderbird's personal dictionary file is named persdict.dat and can be
> edited via the Check Spelling window.

That's the _personal_ dictionary.

I want to remove words from the non-personal one.

Z 06-27-2005 02:43 AM

Adrian wrote:
> Okay, I don't use TB so I didn't answer.
> But you could try this; open a find box from the start menu.
> In the "named" field put *.dic
> Make sure the look in box says "my computer".
> Hit find now.
> A list of all the dictionarys should come up.
> Look for the one that is in the Mozilla folder.

Found it:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\components\myspell\en-US.dic
(TB 1.0.2, Windows XP SP2)

The format of the file is:

WordCount\n
word_1\n
word_WordCount\n
EOF

It was easy to modify and it seems to be working correctly ... spell
knows the words before and after the word I removed and has forgotten
the word I removed.

Some words have a postfixes - /M, /S ... I'm not sure what they mean -
but the word I removed didn't have that.

Thanks.