Velocity Reviews

-   -   Share VB code across multiple pages? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t113860-share-vb-code-across-multiple-pages.html)

antonyliu2002@yahoo.com 11-18-2005 07:09 PM

Share VB code across multiple pages?

I am using ASP.NET 1.1.

In my web application, multiple pages will be using the same functions.
I am wondering if I can just pick out the shared code and save it in a
separate file and then imports it in my webpages.

Say if I save my VB functions in a file called mySharedCode.vb which
has for example a Sub called "ConvertTextBoxData", how do I call this
Sub in my page called page1.aspx?

Thanks a lot!

Juan T. Llibre 11-18-2005 07:26 PM

Re: Share VB code across multiple pages?

re:
> how do I call this Sub in my page called page1.aspx?

You don't.

What you do is compile "SharedCode.vb" to an assembly,
place the assembly in the /bin directory, and import your class's
namespace into any aspx page you want to use it in.

vbc /t:library /out:..\bin\SharedCode.dll SharedCode.vb /r:system.dll

If you need to add more .net classes, add them like this:
/r:system.dll /r:system.data.dll /r:system.xml.dll

Then, import your namespace into your aspx page :

<%@ Import Namespace="SharedCode" %>

This assumes that your class's namespace is named SharedCode.

Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
Foros de ASP.NET en Espaņol : http://asp.net.do/foros/
======================================
news:1132340955.886441.7430@o13g2000cwo.googlegrou ps.com...

antonyliu2002@yahoo.com 11-18-2005 07:36 PM

Re: Share VB code across multiple pages?

OK. thanks. But it's like pain in the butt for me to compile my VB
code. When I tried doing that before, the system keeps saying that
this library is missing, that dll file is not found.

Juan T. Llibre 11-18-2005 07:59 PM

Re: Share VB code across multiple pages?

You have to know which assemblies you need to call.

Just add any required .net assemblies:

vbc /t:library /out:..\bin\SharedCode.dll SharedCode.vb /r:system.dll /r:system.data.dll

etc.

If it's a pain in the butt, you're doing it the wrong way... ;-)
It's quite easy, actually.

Use the class browser to find out what's where.

news:1132342569.480765.39120@g44g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...

Patrick.O.Ige 11-18-2005 10:33 PM

Re: Share VB code across multiple pages?

Juan can VS.NET do this for you?
Patrick

Juan T. Llibre 11-18-2005 11:31 PM

Re: Share VB code across multiple pages?

No.

VS.NET 2005 has a feature which could be useful,
which is placing class files in the App_Code directory.

They get compiled automatically, and can be referenced
in aspx pages, but that's not quite the same.

The ability to compile assemblies from the command-line is
one of the most powerful features the .Net Framework offers.

It makes the job of creating classes, and referencing them in aspx pages, a snap.

After they're compiled, adding a reference to them in VS.NET
lets you access all the classes, methods and properties with full intellisense.

Patrick.O.Ige 11-19-2005 12:20 PM

Re: Share VB code across multiple pages?

Thx Juan
Awesome Juan.
Good Good.
Reading through some books for ASPNET 2.0 for now.
But will get my hands on it soon