Velocity Reviews

-   -   Does Firefox Contain an Old Security Flaw? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t11345-does-firefox-contain-an-old-security-flaw.html)

Agent777 06-08-2005 01:47 PM

Does Firefox Contain an Old Security Flaw?

Updated browser has reintroduced a seven-year-old vulnerability,
security company claims.

Matthew Broersma, Techworld.com
Tuesday, June 07, 2005

New versions of the Mozilla Foundation's browsers have reintroduced a
seven-year-old flaw that makes them vulnerable to spoofing attacks,
security advisory company Secunia says.

Secunia first publicized the flaw last summer, warning that a feature
that had been built into most browsers for years was in fact a security
liability. The firm argued that a feature allowing one Web page to load
arbitrary content into a frame of another page could allow an attacker
to, for example, substitute his own login window on a bank's Web site.
The feature was found in IE, Mozilla, Opera, Safari, and Mozilla
derivatives such as Konqueror.

"We believe that it is important that Microsoft and the other vendors
seriously consider the minor gains from such 'functionality' against the
possible consequences for their customers," said Secunia CTO Thomas
Kristensen at the time. "In our opinion, this is a vulnerability and
should be treated as such, whether the vendors implemented this
intentionally or not."

Flaw Returns

Most browser vendors, including Mozilla, agreed and updated their
products to remove the feature. But it has been re-introduced in Firefox
1.0.4, Mozilla 1.7.8, and Camino 0.x, according to the firm. Secunia has
published an online demonstration of the flaw.

The new vulnerability is a slight variation of the flaw fixed last year,
Secunia says.

The Mozilla Project says it is investigating the report, and a moderator
of the organization's online support site says the flaw had not been
exploited. "To protect yourself, close all other windows/tabs before
accessing a site where you routinely put in a secure password (your bank
or PayPal account), or your bank or credit card details (e.g. Amazon),
or other sensitive data," the moderator says.

Only a handful of other flaws have had an impact reaching across
browsers and platforms. Another example is a spoofing flaw involving the
use of international domain names, discovered in browsers such as
Mozilla, Firefox, and Opera--though not IE--in February.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/...060705X,00.asp

Doug G 06-08-2005 04:48 PM

Re: Does Firefox Contain an Old Security Flaw?

Agent777 wrote:
> Updated browser has reintroduced a seven-year-old vulnerability,
> security company claims.
>
> Matthew Broersma, Techworld.com
> Tuesday, June 07, 2005
>
> New versions of the Mozilla Foundation's browsers have reintroduced a
> seven-year-old flaw that makes them vulnerable to spoofing attacks,
> security advisory company Secunia says.
>
> Secunia first publicized the flaw last summer, warning that a feature
> that had been built into most browsers for years was in fact a security
> liability. The firm argued that a feature allowing one Web page to load
> arbitrary content into a frame of another page could allow an attacker
> to, for example, substitute his own login window on a bank's Web site.
> The feature was found in IE, Mozilla, Opera, Safari, and Mozilla
> derivatives such as Konqueror.
>
> "We believe that it is important that Microsoft and the other vendors
> seriously consider the minor gains from such 'functionality' against the
> possible consequences for their customers," said Secunia CTO Thomas
> Kristensen at the time. "In our opinion, this is a vulnerability and
> should be treated as such, whether the vendors implemented this
> intentionally or not."
>
> Flaw Returns
>
> Most browser vendors, including Mozilla, agreed and updated their
> products to remove the feature. But it has been re-introduced in Firefox
> 1.0.4, Mozilla 1.7.8, and Camino 0.x, according to the firm. Secunia has
> published an online demonstration of the flaw.
>
> The new vulnerability is a slight variation of the flaw fixed last year,
> Secunia says.
>
> The Mozilla Project says it is investigating the report, and a moderator
> of the organization's online support site says the flaw had not been
> exploited. "To protect yourself, close all other windows/tabs before
> accessing a site where you routinely put in a secure password (your bank
> or PayPal account), or your bank or credit card details (e.g. Amazon),
> or other sensitive data," the moderator says.
>
> Only a handful of other flaws have had an impact reaching across
> browsers and platforms. Another example is a spoofing flaw involving the
> use of international domain names, discovered in browsers such as
> Mozilla, Firefox, and Opera--though not IE--in February.
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/...060705X,00.asp

Secunia keeps saying there's a flaw in Firefox 1.0.4 and Mozilla 1.7.8,
but I've been unable to get either to exhibit the flaw with their test
links. Secunia is sounding like a broken record.

Nigel Stapley 06-08-2005 08:23 PM

Doug G wrote:
> Agent777 wrote:
>
>> Updated browser has reintroduced a seven-year-old vulnerability,
>> security company claims.
>>
>> Matthew Broersma, Techworld.com
>> Tuesday, June 07, 2005
>>
>> New versions of the Mozilla Foundation's browsers have reintroduced a
>> seven-year-old flaw that makes them vulnerable to spoofing attacks,
>> security advisory company Secunia says.
>>
>> Secunia first publicized the flaw last summer, warning that a feature
>> that had been built into most browsers for years was in fact a
>> security liability. The firm argued that a feature allowing one Web
>> page to load arbitrary content into a frame of another page could
>> allow an attacker to, for example, substitute his own login window on
>> a bank's Web site. The feature was found in IE, Mozilla, Opera,
>> Safari, and Mozilla derivatives such as Konqueror.
>>
>> "We believe that it is important that Microsoft and the other vendors
>> seriously consider the minor gains from such 'functionality' against
>> the possible consequences for their customers," said Secunia CTO
>> Thomas Kristensen at the time. "In our opinion, this is a
>> vulnerability and should be treated as such, whether the vendors
>> implemented this intentionally or not."
>>
>> Flaw Returns
>>
>> Most browser vendors, including Mozilla, agreed and updated their
>> products to remove the feature. But it has been re-introduced in
>> Firefox 1.0.4, Mozilla 1.7.8, and Camino 0.x, according to the firm.
>> Secunia has published an online demonstration of the flaw.
>>
>> The new vulnerability is a slight variation of the flaw fixed last
>> year, Secunia says.
>>
>> The Mozilla Project says it is investigating the report, and a
>> moderator of the organization's online support site says the flaw had
>> not been exploited. "To protect yourself, close all other windows/tabs
>> before accessing a site where you routinely put in a secure password
>> (your bank or PayPal account), or your bank or credit card details
>> (e.g. Amazon), or other sensitive data," the moderator says.
>>
>> Only a handful of other flaws have had an impact reaching across
>> browsers and platforms. Another example is a spoofing flaw involving
>> the use of international domain names, discovered in browsers such as
>> Mozilla, Firefox, and Opera--though not IE--in February.
>>
>> http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/...060705X,00.asp

> Secunia keeps saying there's a flaw in Firefox 1.0.4 and Mozilla 1.7.8,
> but I've been unable to get either to exhibit the flaw with their test
> links. Secunia is sounding like a broken record.

I tested it (Moz 1.7.8) and the vulnerability *does* exist.

--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.judgemental.plus.com

<reply-to will bounce>

John Thompson 06-09-2005 05:05 AM

On 2005-06-08, Doug G <doug4179@comcast.net> wrote:

> Secunia keeps saying there's a flaw in Firefox 1.0.4 and Mozilla 1.7.8,
> but I've been unable to get either to exhibit the flaw with their test
> links.

The "flaw" doesn't work if you have Firefox configureed to open links in
new tabs.

--

John (john@os2.dhs.org)

Ralph Fox 06-09-2005 10:15 AM

Re: Does Firefox Contain an Old Security Flaw?

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 09:47:26 -0400, in message
*<ksSdnZuU5ItnazvfRVn-ow@comcast.com>, Agent777 wrote:

>Updated browser has reintroduced a seven-year-old vulnerability,
>security company claims.
>
>Matthew Broersma, Techworld.com
>Tuesday, June 07, 2005
>
>New versions of the Mozilla Foundation's browsers have reintroduced a
>seven-year-old flaw that makes them vulnerable to spoofing attacks,
>security advisory company Secunia says.
>
>Secunia first publicized the flaw last summer, warning that a feature
>that had been built into most browsers for years was in fact a security
>liability. The firm argued that a feature allowing one Web page to load
>arbitrary content into a frame of another page could allow an attacker
>to, for example, substitute his own login window on a bank's Web site.
>The feature was found in IE, Mozilla, Opera, Safari, and Mozilla
>derivatives such as Konqueror.
>
>"We believe that it is important that Microsoft and the other vendors
>seriously consider the minor gains from such 'functionality' against the
>possible consequences for their customers," said Secunia CTO Thomas
>Kristensen at the time. "In our opinion, this is a vulnerability and
>should be treated as such, whether the vendors implemented this
>intentionally or not."
>
>Flaw Returns
>
>Most browser vendors, including Mozilla, agreed and updated their
>products to remove the feature. But it has been re-introduced in Firefox
>1.0.4, Mozilla 1.7.8, and Camino 0.x, according to the firm. Secunia has
>published an online demonstration of the flaw.
>
>The new vulnerability is a slight variation of the flaw fixed last year,
>Secunia says.
>
>The Mozilla Project says it is investigating the report, and a moderator
>of the organization's online support site says the flaw had not been
>exploited. "To protect yourself, close all other windows/tabs before
>accessing a site where you routinely put in a secure password (your bank
>or PayPal account), or your bank or credit card details (e.g. Amazon),
>or other sensitive data," the moderator says.
>
>Only a handful of other flaws have had an impact reaching across
>browsers and platforms. Another example is a spoofing flaw involving the
>use of international domain names, discovered in browsers such as
>Mozilla, Firefox, and Opera--though not IE--in February.
>
>http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/...060705X,00.asp

Verified here, with Firefox 1.0.4 and using Secunia's demonstration
at http://secunia.com/multiple_browsers...rability_test/

The demonstration works if the "other page"
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp in the demo) is loaded
in a different _window_, but not (as John wrote) if the other page is
loaded in a different _tab_ in the same window.

This also implies that there is an inconsistency in how Firefox handles
links of the form <a href="/demonstration_page/" target="fraRightFrame">.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by
those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw