Velocity Reviews

-   -   Stop form information being saved by browser (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t112343-stop-form-information-being-saved-by-browser.html)

Winshent 10-26-2005 05:17 PM

Stop form information being saved by browser

How do you stop form information being stored such as credit card info
in a textbox?

S. Justin Gengo 10-26-2005 05:22 PM

Re: Stop form information being saved by browser

Winshent,

That would be up to the user to configure on their browser...

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche
news:1130347065.960069.13800@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...

Siva M 10-26-2005 05:23 PM

Re: Stop form information being saved by browser

I am not sure if you are talking about the AutoComplete feature of IE. If
so, you can disable it: From IE, select menu Tools, Options. Go to the
Content tab and click AutoComplete... and uncheck Forms checkbox.

HTH.

Winshent 10-26-2005 05:44 PM

Re: Stop form information being saved by browser

Yes i am referring to the auto complete feature of the browser. Certain
banking sites dont store such information, regardless of your browser
settings. So i assume there must be a way to stop it being stored..

When you set textbox.type=password.. then the info is not stored by the
browser.

Siva M 10-26-2005 06:00 PM

Re: Stop form information being saved by browser

Specify autocomplete=off if a particular textbox text should not be stored
by the browser as in:

<input type=password name="myPwd" autocomplete="off">

The same attribute can be applied at the form level as well, to turn
autocomplete off for the entire form.

news:1130348682.117048.221780@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

S. Justin Gengo 10-26-2005 06:11 PM

Re: Stop form information being saved by browser

Siva,

Great info. I also found the following on the w3c website:

2.9. The autocomplete attribute
The autocomplete attribute applies to the text, password, select, textarea,
date-related, time-related, numeric, email, and uri controls. The attribute
takes two values, on and off. The default, when the attribute is not
specified, is on.

The on value means the UA may store the value entered by the user so that if
the user returns to the page, the UA can prefill the form. The off value
means that the UA must not remember that field's value.

This specification does not define the autocompletion mechanism. UAs may
implement any system within the conformance criteria of this specification,
taking into account security and privacy concerns.

A UA may allow the user to disable support for this attribute. Support for
the attribute must be enabled by default, and the ability to disable support
should not be trivially accessible, as there are significant security
implications for the user if support for this attribute is disabled.

Banks frequently do not want UAs to prefill login information:

In practice, this attribute is required by many banking institutions, who
insist that UAs with auto-complete features implement it before supporting
them on their Web sites. For this reason, it is implemented by most major
Web browsers already, and has been for many years.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

Winshent 10-26-2005 06:41 PM

Re: Stop form information being saved by browser

Excellent

Thanks verymuch for your posts.

Vincent