Velocity Reviews

-   -   Alternative to Crystal Reports in ASP.NET (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t111539-alternative-to-crystal-reports-in-asp-net.html)

Ann Marinas 10-13-2005 08:26 AM

Alternative to Crystal Reports in ASP.NET

Hi there,

I was wondering if you guys could help me out regarding the scenario I
am in...

Whenever I write an asp.net application in the office, I tend to save my
codes in a Dev Server. This server contains crystal reports, which is
not available on my work's qa and production server. I've got full
control of the Dev server, but on the QA and Prod server, I could only
upload my web apps and not be able to install plugins or any other dlls
needed by my application.

Given the case, I am now looking for any alternative that would allow my
web application to generate a report without asking for crystal report
dlls or any other file, and would be easier to deploy.

Please advise. Thanks a million!

Regards,
Ann

Mark Rae 10-13-2005 08:56 AM

Re: Alternative to Crystal Reports in ASP.NET

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reporting/default.mspx

jhcorey@yahoo.com 10-13-2005 11:58 AM

Re: Alternative to Crystal Reports in ASP.NET

http://www.freereporting.com/

Jon Paal 10-13-2005 04:24 PM

Re: Alternative to Crystal Reports in ASP.NET

Is there a reason for not using the basic datagrid ?

Politicians and judges, like underwear, should be changed often
and for the same reasons.

kkupchyk 04-01-2010 03:31 PM

Stonefield Query the alternative to Crystal Reports

Crystal Reports by Business Objects is one of the most popular and widely used reporting solutions in the world. Yet why are so many people frustrated with it?

To answer this question you must first understand that there are two types of Business Intelligence reporting users: casual users and power users. Casual users, which typically make up 80% or more of the people in an organization, include executives, managers, staff, and business analysts. Power users, making up less than 20%, include IT developers, super users, and analytical modelers.

Power users have no problem working with Crystal Reports because they understand database design, structures, relationships, joins, and SQL commands. To a casual user, on the other hand, this is all Greek to them. This is where the first point of frustration comes in: casual users don’t have the time to learn Crystal Reports nor do they want to become programmers.

So now the casual user must go to the power users to get the reports they want. This creates a second point of frustration: the “IT Bottleneck”.

Bottom line: give a casual user a BI tool designed for them.

Have a look at Stonefield Query, it's fast, easy to use, and simple to install.
They also have a free 30 day trail.