Velocity Reviews

-   -   Possible Bug? update_notifications.enabled (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t11094-possible-bug-update_notifications-enabled.html)

papito 04-27-2005 12:35 PM

Possible Bug? update_notifications.enabled

In FF 1.03, there is a about:config option:

update_notifications.enabled

Setting this to FALSE is suppose to disable the display of notifcations on
the browser.

It seems this notification icon is persistent and can not be disable.

Bug or am I missing someting with FF?

From http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

update_notifications. enabled Boolean True (default): Display a notification
in the browser when updates are available False: Opposite of the above

Thanks

Doug G 04-27-2005 01:26 PM

Re: Possible Bug? update_notifications.enabled

papito wrote:
> In FF 1.03, there is a about:config option:
>
> update_notifications.enabled
>
> Setting this to FALSE is suppose to disable the display of notifcations on
> the browser.
>
> It seems this notification icon is persistent and can not be disable.
>
> Bug or am I missing someting with FF?
>
> From http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
>
> update_notifications. enabled Boolean True (default): Display a notification
> in the browser when updates are available False: Opposite of the above
>
> Thanks

Firefox usually needs to be restarted after making changes in about:config,

Where on the window are you seeing the notifcation?

papito 04-27-2005 02:13 PM

"Doug G" <doug4179@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > Bug or am I missing someting with FF?
> >
> > From http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
> >
> > update_notifications. enabled Boolean True (default): Display a

notification
> > in the browser when updates are available False: Opposite of the above
> >

> Firefox usually needs to be restarted after making changes in

about:config,

> Where on the window are you seeing the notifcation?

Yeah, I tried all this. making sure all FF windows were closed and even
rebooting the machine to make sure (not that I think I needed too, but I
haven't rebooted in weeks.<g>).

Anyway, the only way I can make it go away manually was to set the
preference:

extensions.update.count = 0

then it went away!

I put it back (3), restarted FF and appeared again.

Then I went ahead and perform the "Updates Available" to update the 3
extensions it was showing and after it was done, it went away.

So that option "update_notifications. enabled" is not working it seems. I
don't want FF to be checking for updates automatically to be showing any
notification. :-)

[SOAP ON]

This was one of the most ignoring features in IE and Windows for the matter!
I turned it ALL off. I don't promote or encourage these borderline unethical
programming behaviors - it should be OUTLAWED! It is what caused all these
darn new age "I will do what I darn please on your computer" programming
behaviors and if we don't control it - its going to get freaking worst! We
need to trained these authors to "ASK PERMISSION FIRST" at the very least!

[SOAP OFF]

Big Will 04-28-2005 10:57 AM

Re: Possible Bug? update_notifications.enabled

papito wrote:

[snip]

> [SOAP ON]
>
> This was one of the most ignoring features in IE and Windows for the matter!
> I turned it ALL off. I don't promote or encourage these borderline unethical
> programming behaviors - it should be OUTLAWED! It is what caused all these
> darn new age "I will do what I darn please on your computer" programming
> behaviors and if we don't control it - its going to get freaking worst! We
> need to trained these authors to "ASK PERMISSION FIRST" at the very least!
>
> [SOAP OFF]

Umm... You turned off Windows update? I hope you're not on NT/2000/XP,
or if you are I hope you install the updates manually. Otherwise your
PC could be infested with God knows what. Furthermore, what about your
AV, doesn't it need to be updated every once in a while? But I assume
you do this manually, too.

Regards,

Will

Moz Champion 04-28-2005 11:18 AM

Big Will wrote:
> papito wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> [SOAP ON]
>>
>> This was one of the most ignoring features in IE and Windows for the
>> matter!
>> I turned it ALL off. I don't promote or encourage these borderline
>> unethical
>> programming behaviors - it should be OUTLAWED! It is what caused all
>> these
>> darn new age "I will do what I darn please on your computer" programming
>> behaviors and if we don't control it - its going to get freaking
>> worst! We
>> need to trained these authors to "ASK PERMISSION FIRST" at the very
>> least!
>>
>> [SOAP OFF]

> Umm... You turned off Windows update? I hope you're not on NT/2000/XP,
> or if you are I hope you install the updates manually. Otherwise your
> PC could be infested with God knows what. Furthermore, what about your
> AV, doesn't it need to be updated every once in a while? But I assume
> you do this manually, too.
>
> Regards,
>
> Will

?? windows update doesnt automatically install any updates, it asks you
first.

Most AV programs have their own update mechanism seperate from Windows
And they ask you first as well. They just dont simply 'update' when a
new one comes along (unless of course you have TOLD the program to do
specifically that).