Velocity Reviews

-   -   V2.0 ARGH!!!!! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t109658-v2-0-argh.html)

Mantorok 09-12-2005 11:12 AM

V2.0 ARGH!!!!!

Hi all

I just changed the name of the style-sheet I was using in my master page -
guess what Beta 2 does??? WIPES OUT ONE OF MY F*****G PAGES!!!!!!!!

I'm livid! That is all I did and it's wiped out ALL my HTML that was in my
web page - 2 months work.

My only hope is to somehow try and decompile the last dll file that was
compiled on my server.

Any ideas how to do this??

Kev

Ray Booysen 09-12-2005 11:31 AM

Re: V2.0 ARGH!!!!!

Mantorok wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I just changed the name of the style-sheet I was using in my master page -
> guess what Beta 2 does??? WIPES OUT ONE OF MY F*****G PAGES!!!!!!!!
>
> I'm livid! That is all I did and it's wiped out ALL my HTML that was in my
> web page - 2 months work.
>
> My only hope is to somehow try and decompile the last dll file that was
> compiled on my server.
>
> Any ideas how to do this??
>
> Kev

Use a source code management system or backup your work?

KMA 09-12-2005 12:01 PM

Re: V2.0 ARGH!!!!!

Come on, Ray. That's just not nice.

Mantorok, if it's any consolation, it generallly only take about 25% of the
time to rekey already written (and lost) code. See you in a fortnight.

KMA 09-12-2005 12:03 PM

Re: V2.0 ARGH!!!!!

only kidding.

Maybe I'm being thick, but isn't "all your html" being output in the app.
Can't you run the last well built ap and simply go page to page and view the
source? I'm sure some of it was dynamically created but it may give you a
jump start on starting from scratch.

Ray Booysen 09-12-2005 12:08 PM

Re: V2.0 ARGH!!!!!

Hi KMA,

Sorry but I have zero sympathy for people that have not spent the time
or effort backing up their own software. Especially not from IT people.
I didn't mean it in a horrible way at all but developing without a
backup solution especially using Beta software is not one of the
brightest things I have ever heard of.

Again, tongue in cheek monitor on. :)

Mantorok 09-12-2005 12:27 PM

Re: V2.0 ARGH!!!!!

"Ray Booysen" <msnewsgroups@rjb.za.net> wrote in message
> Mantorok wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I just changed the name of the style-sheet I was using in my master
>> page - guess what Beta 2 does??? WIPES OUT ONE OF MY F*****G
>> PAGES!!!!!!!!
>>
>> I'm livid! That is all I did and it's wiped out ALL my HTML that was in
>> my web page - 2 months work.
>>
>> My only hope is to somehow try and decompile the last dll file that was
>> compiled on my server.
>>
>> Any ideas how to do this??
>>
>> Kev

> Use a source code management system or backup your work?

I've just discovered it's not 2 months work it's around 4 days, the files
are in source control and I find it shocking - even for a beta release -
that it actually did that.

Kev

Mantorok 09-12-2005 12:32 PM

Re: V2.0 ARGH!!!!!

I don't want sympathy, i want to know if it's possible to decompile the
dll....?

Kev

Eliyahu Goldin 09-12-2005 02:11 PM

Re: V2.0 ARGH!!!!!

An experienced developer takes care of backup.

A very experienced developer knows that everything happens, including
missing backup.

Eliyahu

Web Team @ Borough of Poole 09-12-2005 02:33 PM

Re: V2.0 ARGH!!!!!

Even those of us who have a backup system in place forget to use it
from time to time!

=?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95IChHcmVnb3J5IEEuIEJlYW1lcikgLSBNVlA=?= 09-12-2005 02:52 PM

RE: V2.0 ARGH!!!!!

The beta blues? Preach on brother!
-- Choir Member

I hear the frustration and hope this will be tested on the final release
product.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA