Velocity Reviews

-   -   Thunderbird Filters (ver 1.0.2) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t10904-thunderbird-filters-ver-1-0-2-a.html)

Dennis J. Tuchler 04-01-2005 07:43 PM

Thunderbird Filters (ver 1.0.2)

I have filters set up to distribute mail into various folders under Local
Folders. The filters do not work automatically. I have to click on the
Apoply Filters selection before the notes are distributed. What should I
check to fix this?

Moz Champion 04-05-2005 05:26 AM

Re: Thunderbird Filters (ver 1.0.2)

Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
> I have filters set up to distribute mail into various folders under Local
> Folders. The filters do not work automatically. I have to click on the
> Apoply Filters selection before the notes are distributed. What should I
> check to fix this?

filters only work automatically in inboxes when mail is received.
Are the filters enabled in the list?

Dennis J. Tuchler 04-06-2005 12:22 AM

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 05:26:35 +0000, Moz Champion wrote:

> Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
>> I have filters set up to distribute mail into various folders under Local
>> Folders. The filters do not work automatically. I have to click on the
>> Apoply Filters selection before the notes are distributed. What should I
>> check to fix this?

> filters only work automatically in inboxes when mail is received.
> Are the filters enabled in the list?

Hmmmm. How do I find that out?

djtuchler

Moz Champion 04-06-2005 03:54 AM

Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 05:26:35 +0000, Moz Champion wrote:
>

>>Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
>>
>>>I have filters set up to distribute mail into various folders under Local
>>>Folders. The filters do not work automatically. I have to click on the
>>>Apoply Filters selection before the notes are distributed. What should I
>>>check to fix this?

>>filters only work automatically in inboxes when mail is received.
>>Are the filters enabled in the list?

> Hmmmm. How do I find that out?
>
> djtuchler

Bring up the inbox in question
Tools-->Message Filters

the filters entered for the particuler inbox will show, and have an
enabled checkmark

Dennis J. Tuchler 04-07-2005 12:56 AM

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 03:54:29 +0000, Moz Champion wrote:

> Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:

>>>filters only work automatically in inboxes when mail is received.
>>>Are the filters enabled in the list?

>> Hmmmm. How do I find that out?
>>
>> djtuchler

> Bring up the inbox in question
> Tools-->Message Filters
>
> the filters entered for the particuler inbox will show, and have an
> enabled checkmark

All have that checkmark. The arrangement may be odd. I have two sources
for e-mail Source1 and Source2. The only set of folders I have is Local
Folders. The Tools/Filters menu has three designations for filters:
Filterws For: {list window}. The list is Source1, Source2 and Local
Folders. The only filter list is in the window opened when the entry in
the list window is Local Folders. Over the window which holds the list of
filters is a statement "Enabled filters are run automatically in the order
shown below". Does that suggest anything?

Thanks again for your help

dj tuchler

Moz Champion 04-07-2005 02:23 AM

Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 03:54:29 +0000, Moz Champion wrote:

>>>Hmmmm. How do I find that out?
>>>
>>>djtuchler

>>Bring up the inbox in question
>>Tools-->Message Filters
>>
>>the filters entered for the particuler inbox will show, and have an
>>enabled checkmark

> All have that checkmark. The arrangement may be odd. I have two sources
> for e-mail Source1 and Source2. The only set of folders I have is Local
> Folders. The Tools/Filters menu has three designations for filters:
> Filterws For: {list window}. The list is Source1, Source2 and Local
> Folders. The only filter list is in the window opened when the entry in
> the list window is Local Folders. Over the window which holds the list of
> filters is a statement "Enabled filters are run automatically in the order
> shown below". Does that suggest anything?
>
> Thanks again for your help
>
> dj tuchler

?? you have 3 email accounts you combine into one, but only 2 sources?

Try putting the filters in all 3 locations, it may be redundant, but if
it works what the hey. All this just to remove a little clutter from
the desktop... check that, a little clutter from one pane on the
desktop. Ah well, differin strokes for differin folks

Dennis J. Tuchler 04-08-2005 01:21 AM

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 02:23:48 +0000, Moz Champion wrote:

> Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:

>>>Bring up the inbox in question
>>>Tools-->Message Filters
>>>
>>>the filters entered for the particuler inbox will show, and have an
>>>enabled checkmark

>> All have that checkmark. The arrangement may be odd. I have two sources
>> for e-mail Source1 and Source2. The only set of folders I have is Local
>> Folders. The Tools/Filters menu has three designations for filters:
>> Filterws For: {list window}. The list is Source1, Source2 and Local
>> Folders. The only filter list is in the window opened when the entry in
>> the list window is Local Folders. Over the window which holds the list of
>> filters is a statement "Enabled filters are run automatically in the order
>> shown below". Does that suggest anything?
>>
>> Thanks again for your help
>>
>> dj tuchler

> ?? you have 3 email accounts you combine into one, but only 2 sources?

I get mail from two sources, but I want to funnel it to a single set of
folders. I suspect that's the problem -- one that should not arise in a
well-designed e-mail application.

> Try putting the filters in all 3 locations, it may be redundant, but if
> it works what the hey. All this just to remove a little clutter from
> the desktop... check that, a little clutter from one pane on the
> desktop. Ah well, differin strokes for differin folks

I am afraid you are right, which means I'm going back to Kmail. It works
quite well with two sources of e-mail and a single set of folders to hold
the messages.

dj tuchler

Steve Block 04-10-2005 06:57 PM

Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 02:23:48 +0000, Moz Champion wrote:

>>>All have that checkmark. The arrangement may be odd. I have two sources
>>>for e-mail Source1 and Source2. The only set of folders I have is Local
>>>Folders. The Tools/Filters menu has three designations for filters:
>>>Filterws For: {list window}. The list is Source1, Source2 and Local
>>>Folders. The only filter list is in the window opened when the entry in
>>>the list window is Local Folders. Over the window which holds the list of
>>>filters is a statement "Enabled filters are run automatically in the order
>>>shown below". Does that suggest anything?
>>>
>>>Thanks again for your help
>>>
>>>dj tuchler

>>?? you have 3 email accounts you combine into one, but only 2 sources?

> I get mail from two sources, but I want to funnel it to a single set of
> folders. I suspect that's the problem -- one that should not arise in a
> well-designed e-mail application.

Just set the filters up for whichever account receives the mail. I work
the exact same thing on my setup. You don't set them up under local
folders, but rather under the account to which the email is addressed.
I don't get what the local folders is for on the filters drop down menu,
to be honest.

Dennis J. Tuchler 04-10-2005 08:12 PM

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 19:57:59 +0100, Steve Block wrote:

>>>?? you have 3 email accounts you combine into one, but only 2 sources?

>> I get mail from two sources, but I want to funnel it to a single set of
>> folders. I suspect that's the problem -- one that should not arise in a
>> well-designed e-mail application.

> Just set the filters up for whichever account receives the mail. I work
> the exact same thing on my setup. You don't set them up under local
> folders, but rather under the account to which the email is addressed.
> I don't get what the local folders is for on the filters drop down menu,
> to be honest.

I set up the "local folders" in order to funnel e-mail from both accounts
into a single set of folders. Now, all the mail comes to "Inbox" under
"Local Folders". When I tag a message with a filter, that filter is
recorded under "Local Folders" in the Filters section. I suppose I should
have an Inbox for each of the two sources of e-mail and then distribute
the mail to the various common folders.

dj tuchler

Steve Block 04-11-2005 06:46 AM

Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:

> I set up the "local folders" in order to funnel e-mail from both accounts
> into a single set of folders. Now, all the mail comes to "Inbox" under
> "Local Folders". When I tag a message with a filter, that filter is
> recorded under "Local Folders" in the Filters section.

That's odd. When I create a filter from a message using the option on
the message tab, it creates it under the account, not under local
folders. I don't know why your system is doing it diffrent.