Velocity Reviews

-   -   ASPNET Account Permissions for .NET 2.0? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t108073-aspnet-account-permissions-for-net-2-0-a.html)

=?Utf-8?B?cGFsYWt3YWlfOTE5?= 08-15-2005 04:22 PM

ASPNET Account Permissions for .NET 2.0?

We have a Windows 2000 server with Beta 2 of the 2.0 Framework installed and
the 1.1 Framework. For some odd reason when we hit our 2.0 Framework
application we get the following error:

Server Application Unavailable
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
to retry your request.
Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.
Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

When we look at the event log there are two entries of interest. A warning:

Failed to initialize the AppDomain:/LM/W3SVC/1/Root/RMP30

Exception: System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironmentException
Message: Failed to access IIS metabase.
StackTrace: at
System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(A pplicationManager
appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory
configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters)
at
System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDom ainWithHostingEnvironment(String
appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters
hostingParameters)
at
System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDom ainWithHostingEnvironmentAndReportErrors(String
appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters
hostingParameters)

Followed by an error:

Failed to execute request because the App-Domain could not be created.
Error: 0x80131500

The 1.1 Framework applications still work. If I move the ASPNET account into
the Local Administrators group the application runs fine and the above errors
and warnings do not occur.

I have tried reinstalling and the 2.0 Framework and re-registering with IIS.
I’ve used FileMon to watch for access errors when running. We have a second
Windows 2000 with a similar configuration and all runs fine.

Does anyone know what directories and all the ASPNET account needs under the
2.0 Framework? Could this be a registry access issue?

I found this for 1.0:

http://www.15seconds.com/issue/030115.htm

--
palakwai_919

Andrea Zani 08-15-2005 04:33 PM

Re: ASPNET Account Permissions for .NET 2.0?

palakwai_919 <palakwai919@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto:
> We have a Windows 2000 server with Beta 2 of the 2.0 Framework
> installed and the 1.1 Framework. For some odd reason when we hit our
> 2.0 Framework application we get the following error:

You try with this solution:
cd C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50215.44
aspnet_regiis.exe -u

cd C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
aspnet_regiis.exe -i

And with:
http://www.denisbauer.com/NETTools/A...nSwitcher.aspx
change the framework for the virtualdir for 2.0

--
AZ [Microsoft - .NET MVP]
Mia Home page: http://ciclismo.sitiasp.it

=?Utf-8?B?cGFsYWt3YWlfOTE5?= 08-15-2005 04:52 PM

Re: ASPNET Account Permissions for .NET 2.0?

Thanks for the reply but isn't that just going unistall the 2.0 framework and
install the 1.1 framework? The application in question is a 2.0 framework
application that will run when ASPNET is a member of the Local Administrators
group. This appears to be a permissions problem but which permissions are
missing has elluded me thus far.

--
-palakwai_919

Juan T. Llibre 08-15-2005 05:33 PM

Re: ASPNET Account Permissions for .NET 2.0?

Hi, Palakwai.

re:
> Does anyone know what directories the
> ASPNET account needs under the 2.0 Framework?

This article spells out the permissions needed
for all essential ASP.NET directories:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...l/secmod15.asp

See Table 1: Required NTFS permissions.
They are the same for ASP.NET 1.1 and for ASP.NET 2.0.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
http://asp.net.do/foros/
Foros de ASP.NET en Español
Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
======================

=?Utf-8?B?cGFsYWt3YWlfOTE5?= 08-17-2005 08:34 PM

Re: ASPNET Account Permissions for .NET 2.0?

I found this in another post. It solves the problem but may be a security risk.

Kevin3344 Dec 22 2004, 4:22 pm show options

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
From: "Kevin3344" <k...@nc.rr.com> - Find messages by this author
Date: 22 Dec 2004 12:22:07 -0800
Subject: Re: Dot Net Framework 2.0 not working
Report Abuse

I had the same problem. Here's what I did to fix it:

Open IIS. Right click properties. Select the Operators tab. Click Add.

Add the ASPNET worker process: <MachineName>\ASPNET. Click Ok.

Start a new browser instance and try the page again. It should work.

- Kevin

--
-palakwai_919