Velocity Reviews

-   -   type mismatch error (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t107958-type-mismatch-error.html)

amitbadgi@gmail.com 08-12-2005 05:53 AM

type mismatch error

I am getting teh following error while converting an asp application to
asp.net,

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Type
mismatch.

Source Error:

Line 347: 'response.Write(sql2)
Line 348: rs_getAlarmCount = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
Line 349: rs_getAlarmCount.ActiveConnection = MM_rs_PAVE_CC_1_STRING
Line 350: rs_getAlarmCount.Source = sql
Line 351: rs_getAlarmCount.CursorType = 0

Source File: C:\Documents and
Settings\amit\WebSite1\reports\campusfiresafetyrep ort.aspx Line: 349

Stack Trace:

[COMException (0x80020005): Type mismatch.]

Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding .InternalLateSet(Object
o, Type& objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames,
Boolean OptimisticSet, CallType UseCallType) +2138
Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBind ing.LateSet(Object
Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[]
ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean OptimisticSet, Boolean
RValueBase, CallType CallType) +180
Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBind ing.LateSet(Object
Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[]
ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments) +33
ASP.campusfiresafetyreport_aspx.getAlarmCount(Obje ct location,
Object alarmtype, Object thisyear) in C:\Documents and
Settings\amit\WebSite1\reports\campusfiresafetyrep ort.aspx:349
ASP.campusfiresafetyreport_aspx.__Render__control1 (HtmlTextWriter
__w, Control parameterContainer) in C:\Documents and
Settings\amit\WebSite1\reports\campusfiresafetyrep ort.aspx:249
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlT extWriter writer,
ICollection children) +98
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWrite r writer) +20
System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +27
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTe xtWriter writer,
ControlAdapter adapter) +53
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer,
ControlAdapter adapter) +280
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +24
+8878

The code is as follows, where the error occurs,

<Script type="VB" runat="Server">
function getAlarmCount(location, alarmtype, thisyear)

Dim sql = " SELECT COUNT(*) AS realalarmcount " & _
"FROM (tblEvent INNER JOIN tblEvent_type ON tblEvent.case_no =
tblEvent_type.case_no) " & _
"WHERE (tblEvent_type.event_type_id = "& alarmtype &") " & _
" AND (tblEvent.date_of_event > '1/1/"& thisyear &"' and
tblEvent.date_of_event < '12/31/"& thisyear &"' ) "
if location <> "0" then
sql = sql & " AND (tblEvent.location = "& location &") "
end if

'response.Write(sql2)
rs_getAlarmCount = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rs_getAlarmCount.ActiveConnection = MM_rs_PAVE_CC_1_STRING
rs_getAlarmCount.Source = sql
rs_getAlarmCount.CursorType = 0
rs_getAlarmCount.CursorLocation = 2
rs_getAlarmCount.LockType = 1
rs_getAlarmCount.Open()

alarmcount = rs_getAlarmCount("realalarmcount")

'response.Write(alarmcount)

rs_getAlarmCount.Close()
rs_getAlarmCount = Nothing

getAlarmCount = alarmcount

end function
</Script>

Marcus Heege 08-12-2005 08:21 AM

Re: type mismatch error

I assume MM_rs_PAVE_CC_1_STRING is a connection string.

Shouldn't it be a connection object with that connection string instead of
the connection string itself?

news:1123825996.670882.230670@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...

Kevin Spencer 08-12-2005 11:22 AM

Re: type mismatch error

Save yourself a LOT of headaches, and do NOT use ADO. Use ADO.Net instead.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Everybody picks their nose,
But some people are better at hiding it.

Kevin Spencer 08-12-2005 11:23 AM

Re: type mismatch error

BTW, ADO.Net is the System.Data NameSpace.