Velocity Reviews

-   -   Moz Dino's name? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t10735-moz-dinos-name.html)

Poly-poly man 03-09-2005 12:11 AM

Moz Dino's name?

I LOVE Mozilla. I also love linux. The little penguin mascot for linux
has a name (Tux!) Is there a name for the Moz Dino? What about that FF
fox? I've been calling them Mozzy and Fire.
Thanks,
Poly-p man

Moz Champion 03-09-2005 01:17 AM

Re: Moz Dino's name?

Poly-poly man wrote:
> I LOVE Mozilla. I also love linux. The little penguin mascot for linux
> has a name (Tux!) Is there a name for the Moz Dino? What about that FF
> fox? I've been calling them Mozzy and Fire.
> Thanks,
> Poly-p man

Well, its difficult to say exactly.

In the early days of Netscape there existed the character "Moz" or
"Mozilla" who was dinosaur like. Eventually, Netscape shifted away from
using him as a Mascot, but retained the copyright on the name.
When Mozilla.org was created they were granted the copyright on the name
"Mozilla" in as much as its usage, and someone created the dinosaur logo
to go along with it. Whether they took their lead from the 'Moz' of old,
the effect is similar. Mozilla has trademarked it's 'red lizard logo'

From the Mozilla.org page on Trademarks

The cute green dinosaur is not a Mozilla Foundation trademark either;
its legal status is unclear, and we are moving away from using it.

Images of the old Netscape 'Moz' (the cute green dinosaur) can be seen here
http://home.snafu.de/tilman/mozilla/

So essentially, the 'red lizard' as used by Mozilla has no name, as far
as I have been able to ascertain

The Firefox logo is relatively new and derivatives of it are few and far
between. It doesnt have a name as far as I could ascertain.

Just to be on the safe side, I have forwarded your question about names
for the logos to licensing at Mozilla.org, just to see what they reply.

Poly-poly man 03-09-2005 02:01 PM

Re: Moz Dino's name?

Moz Champion wrote:
> Poly-poly man wrote:
> > I LOVE Mozilla. I also love linux. The little penguin mascot for

linux
> > has a name (Tux!) Is there a name for the Moz Dino? What about that

FF
> > fox? I've been calling them Mozzy and Fire.
> > Thanks,
> > Poly-p man
> >

> Well, its difficult to say exactly.
>
> In the early days of Netscape there existed the character "Moz" or
> "Mozilla" who was dinosaur like. Eventually, Netscape shifted away

from
> using him as a Mascot, but retained the copyright on the name.
> When Mozilla.org was created they were granted the copyright on the

name
> "Mozilla" in as much as its usage, and someone created the dinosaur

logo
> to go along with it. Whether they took their lead from the 'Moz' of

old,
> the effect is similar. Mozilla has trademarked it's 'red lizard logo'
>
> From the Mozilla.org page on Trademarks
>

> The cute green dinosaur is not a Mozilla Foundation trademark either;

> its legal status is unclear, and we are moving away from using it.
>
> Images of the old Netscape 'Moz' (the cute green dinosaur) can be

seen here
> http://home.snafu.de/tilman/mozilla/
>
> So essentially, the 'red lizard' as used by Mozilla has no name, as

far
> as I have been able to ascertain
>
> The Firefox logo is relatively new and derivatives of it are few and

far
> between. It doesnt have a name as far as I could ascertain.
>
> Just to be on the safe side, I have forwarded your question about

names
> for the logos to licensing at Mozilla.org, just to see what they

reply.

Thanks, that was a cool look back through time. Could you post back
licensing's reply?

THanks again,
Poly-p man

Doug G 03-09-2005 02:29 PM

Re: Moz Dino's name?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_%28mascot%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...mputer_mascots

Moz Champion 03-11-2005 01:06 AM

Re: Moz Dino's name?

Poly-poly man wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>>Poly-poly man wrote:
>>
>>>I LOVE Mozilla. I also love linux. The little penguin mascot for

> linux
>
>>>has a name (Tux!) Is there a name for the Moz Dino? What about that

> FF
>
>>>fox? I've been calling them Mozzy and Fire.
>>>Thanks,
>>>Poly-p man
>>>

>>Well, its difficult to say exactly.
>>
>>In the early days of Netscape there existed the character "Moz" or
>>"Mozilla" who was dinosaur like. Eventually, Netscape shifted away

> from
>
>>using him as a Mascot, but retained the copyright on the name.
>>When Mozilla.org was created they were granted the copyright on the

> name
>
>>"Mozilla" in as much as its usage, and someone created the dinosaur

> logo
>
>>to go along with it. Whether they took their lead from the 'Moz' of

> old,
>
>>the effect is similar. Mozilla has trademarked it's 'red lizard logo'
>>
>> From the Mozilla.org page on Trademarks
>>

>>The cute green dinosaur is not a Mozilla Foundation trademark either;

>>its legal status is unclear, and we are moving away from using it.
>>
>>Images of the old Netscape 'Moz' (the cute green dinosaur) can be

> seen here
>
>>http://home.snafu.de/tilman/mozilla/
>>
>>So essentially, the 'red lizard' as used by Mozilla has no name, as

> far
>
>>as I have been able to ascertain
>>
>>The Firefox logo is relatively new and derivatives of it are few and

> far
>
>>between. It doesnt have a name as far as I could ascertain.
>>
>>Just to be on the safe side, I have forwarded your question about

> names
>
>>for the logos to licensing at Mozilla.org, just to see what they

> reply.
>

> Thanks, that was a cool look back through time. Could you post back
> licensing's reply?
>
> THanks again,
> Poly-p man

Heard back from licensing